[Roadmap] Redesigning first-run page

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Wladimir Palant

Re: [Roadmap] Redesigning first-run page

Post by Wladimir Palant »

These features aren't self-explaining - each is supposed to be accompanied by some text and an image. You cannot do that with checkboxes...
vinny86

Post by vinny86 »

Ah, makes sense.

Are you considering renaming the addon to something that conveys that it can block more than ads ? :) I know it goes against good marketing sense since the brand has already been established. (Multi Block Plus ?)

Will you display this dialogue to existing users to make sure they don’t miss out on the opportunity to see what else ABP can do?
Marijo

Post by Marijo »

Wladimir Palant wrote:We got quite definitive feedback from multiple sources that we shouldn't be using jargon such as "filter lists".
Totally agree. People have a hard time telling the difference between ABP and "filter lists".
Wladimir Palant wrote:Mozilla asked us to clarify what non-intrusive ads mean in detail, without asking people to read the web page. Till tried very hard to put it all into a few sentences.
The explanation is spot-on and leaves no room for doubt or anything.
Wladimir Palant wrote:There is a simple way to add additional filter lists. Not sure whether my explanation of tracking is good enough for "average Joe" but it's a starting point.
Looks good to me. Your definition of "tracking" is simple and good enough for Joe Sixpack. I'd replace "...the web bugs." with "...these web bugs." though.
Like vinny86 suggested, I'd replace "blocking" with "block". In addition to that, I'd remove the "FREE" part. That is unnecessary and suggests that some parts are not free.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Marijo wrote:In addition to that, I'd remove the "FREE" part. That is unnecessary and suggests that some parts are not free.
I think that Till added that because in the past surprisingly many people were wondering whether this service is really free and were afraid of walking into a trap. Granted, using terminology like "filter subscription" reinforced that trend...