[Done] New icons for Adblock Plus

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Wladimir Palant

[Done] New icons for Adblock Plus

Post by Wladimir Palant »

The owner of androidicons.com contributed a set of icons and a new logo for Adblock Plus which look pretty good. My main concern (as usually) are the small 16x16 icons which is the most used size now thanks to Firefox 4. Please have a look, these new icons are on the left, our current icons on the right:

What do you think? Is it something we can use?

For completeness, here are the 24x24 icons which look a lot better. Sadly, not too many users will ever see them in that size (screenshots are from Firefox 3.6):

Till
ABP CEO

Re: New icons for Adblock Plus

Post by Till »

The improvements look minor in the small versions. But visitors of the download pages like the Chrome webstore and AMO get to see a larger one, and there the improvement is more obvious, I think.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 20, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed link to the large version of the images - I didn't post it for a reason, I want the icons to be discussed independently of the logo
Michael

Post by Michael »

The white outline seems to disappear on the disabled version of the 16x16 icon, and there is an unfortunate loss of detail at this resolution, as is to be expected. However, this is probably just me nitpicking, as I definitely think that the update is an improvement to the Adblock Plus logo.
Wladimir Palant

I actually asked for that outline to be removed, it looked pretty ugly at this resolution.
Till
ABP CEO

Post by Till »

Removed link to the large version of the images - I didn't post it for a reason, I want the icons to be discussed independently of the logo
OK, that makes sense.
anonymous74100

Post by anonymous74100 »

I like the new icons. :)

Where are the 64x64 and 48x48 icons for the add-on manager :?:
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

The new small icons look worse IMO. The other 2 larger one look slightly better (but that's debatable).

If a new icon was to be made I would have thought there would be a greater difference.
Wladimir Palant

Hubird wrote:If a new icon was to be made I would have thought there would be a greater difference.
That's actually a good thing - people have a hard time getting used to new things (see cockroach - some people still use that icon), if the new icon/logo isn't too different it's an advantage. The goal here clearly was giving it some polish, not to create something radically different.
Wladimir Palant

anonymous74100 wrote:Where are the 64x64 and 48x48 icons for the add-on manager :?:
We have them and they look good. I intentionally didn't post them here - people would otherwise concentrate on the nice large images when the small images are the ones that are really important.
Till
ABP CEO

Post by Till »

I looks like nobody has any objections. Will this now be the official new logo and when will it be implemented?
Wladimir Palant

Yes, sounds like nobody has serious objections - it's only a minor improvement (especially small sizes) but we should start using it. I am working on finally finishing Sync support, will change icons immediately after that.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Will there also be updates to associated logos, such as for Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus?
Wladimir Palant

Yes, I will need to update them as well.
MozillaUser233

Post by MozillaUser233 »

After the latest ABP update [1.3.9], I do like the new icons very much. Nice work. :D
wtf

Post by wtf »

I know looks are a subjective thing, but I have to ask

http://postimage.org/image/1o7q3hjlw/

this is better ?