When are filter lists are updated?

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
johnitos

When are filter lists are updated?

Post by johnitos »

Hello!
My site was blocked by easylist, but i managed to get in contact with the authors and get my site whitelisted!

I have manually updated the filter lists and everything works for me!
The big problem is though, that for every costumer that from now on is entering my site, they see it broken (because they still have the old easylist), because the filters lists havent been updated by adblock universally/automatically!

Its a business site and it is very crucial if you can help me out and update the lists on all your users!

Is that something possible?
If yes, when can that happen?

Thank you very much for your time!
I keenly await for your response!!
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: When are filter lists are updated?

Post by greiner »

We cannot remotely force a filter list update for users and, even if we could, it would probably just overload our servers. Therefore, over the years, we've instead been working on steadily increasing the update frequency to provide up-to-date filter lists for all our users at all times.

That means that EasyList (as hosted by adblockplus.org) is currently downloaded once per day (see easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easylist.txt) so it shouldn't take too long for the fix to propagate to all Adblock Plus users. However, keep in mind that every filter list defines its own update interval and that EasyList's default update interval is once every four days (see easylist.to/easylist/easylist.txt) so it will take a few more days until the update reaches those EasyList users that use a different adblocker.