[Done] Warn if the filters didn't download correctly

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
famlam

[Done] Warn if the filters didn't download correctly

Post by famlam »

Refiled because of this comment:
The last issue will take longer to fix and I have a bug report with a meaningless title now.
Reports like this one do not serve the filter list maintainer: filter download failed. It might be an idea to just notify the user that it failed, so (s)he will check his/her firewall rather that having a non-working ABP. This also saves the list maintainer some time (as it probably isn't the first thing a list maintainer looks at, so (s)he might first try to figure out what could have raised the ad for the user, before (s)he finally notices the download failure)
Also mentioned here before.
Wladimir Palant

Re: [Roadmap] Warn if the filters didn't download correctly

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Moved to Future development, this is now on the roadmap for Adblock Plus 2.1.
Ares2

Post by Ares2 »

Wladimir, is it possible to handle the network errors in detail (e.g. whether it failed at name lookup, SSL handshake, during download etc.)? I also always wonder when I see a "Last download attempt: 30 minutes ago; Last successful download: unknown", whether this was the first attempt after install and it just happened to fail for whatever temporary reason OR whether ABP has already tried several times (e.g. persistent error).
Wladimir Palant

The exact error reason would be a code like 2152398861 (that's NS_ERROR_CONNECTION_REFUSED). Adblock Plus doesn't save it and even if it did - interpreting it isn't trivial (I currently recognize 40 such codes in a log analysis script).

What is being saved is the download status like "synchronize_connection_error" or "synchronize_checksum_mismatch". Sending it to the server shouldn't be a problem. Edit: Stupid me - that's already being sent and even displayed in the reports, "Status of last download" column. I added it as a possible "known issue" field (https://hg.adblockplus.org/sitescripts/rev/a04445af4763), maybe we will implement the request here as a "known issue" for now. That would only need a webpage with description of the issue and how to fix it.
Wladimir Palant

Sending reports if there were no successful downloads in the past 14 days no longer works: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplus/rev/d74cb837db13
This should do as solution here.