Feature Request: Optional "Do not Adblock" option.

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Krystal53

Feature Request: Optional "Do not Adblock" option.

Post by Krystal53 »

I'd like to see an option in the right-click drop down menu that has an option that will let a user open a web page with adblocking pre-disabled. Something like "Open link in new tab" with either "Ads allowed" text added or maybe a greyed out adblock icon next to the option within the menu itself.
It would look something like this:
Except that the filter options would also extend to "open in new window" too.
Choosing this option would temporarily disable ad blocking on the newly opened page(s) only.

What made me ask for this: There there are certain videos pages on youtube that I would rather not block ads on. You know, to support the creators content and such. It would be easier for me if there an option like this, since every video, new or old has its own unique video ID/URL that youtube provides, making it pretty much impossible(as far as I know...) to to filter advertisements from certain uploaders.

This feature request could be related to the temp. filter request posted here: forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6184
Wladimir Palant

Re: Feature Request: Optional "Do not Adblock" option.

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I have my doubts but let's move it to Future development to get other opinions.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

I personally don't see much of a use for this, it adds a "feature" to the context menu that very few people will ever use.
anonymous74100

Post by anonymous74100 »

I don't like cluttering up the context menu.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reformulated in a polite way. Please don't forget that you are talking to people here.
Latvian List maintainer
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

It doesn't have to be the context menu, maybe a better place can be found for it. However, would the feature itself be useful?
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

It is already so easy to disable ABP (a simple middle click on the icon and it's done).

If the user is really interested in supporting then donate or whitelist the page.
Krystal53

Post by Krystal53 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:It doesn't have to be the context menu, maybe a better place can be found for it. However, would the feature itself be useful?
A checkbox somewhere in the settings perhaps? We can 'clutter' that instead. (heh) On the usefulness thing, I'm was thinking it would only help with youtube, (the main reason why I wanted to put this idea out there) but you never know.

Hubird wrote:It is already so easy to disable ABP (a simple middle click on the icon and it's done).

If the user is really interested in supporting then donate or whitelist the page.
True enough, but the thing is some users don't have the funds to donate directly to a YTer. The majority of the time, content creators don't give an option to even donate to them, and those that do are better off creating and publishing consistently better content that will help them apply for a partnership. As I stated before, (again, as far as I know) you can't pre-whitelist videos from a specific person due to the video-specific ID that there's no way connect to who uploaded it. Also, no use in adding a webpage to the accepted
-ads list when you're probably never going to watch the same video or visit the same page for a long time.

The idea here I was thinking about is to preemptively whitelist a page before it loads all the advertisements. No point in whitelisting and refreshing a page after all the advertisements play and display. With aging hardware like mine, CPU and memory usage and their longevity is becoming very important to me.

I thank you all for your input.
haru

Post by haru »

[removed]
Last edited by haru on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not post off-topic comments in the Future Development forum. If you need to discuss something - create a new topic in the Adblock Plus for Firefox forum.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Krystal53 wrote:No point in whitelisting and refreshing a page after all the advertisements play and display. With aging hardware like mine, CPU and memory usage and their longevity is becoming very important to me.

I thank you all for your input.
If the ads were blocked to begin with, they would not play until after a whitelist and refresh, but methinks you meant "after the rest of the page elements play and display."
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
drabun

Post by drabun »

what about abp disabling itself on domains that are frequently visited based on browsing history, the effect should be the same as if users manually disable abp on domains
but there should be a lot of options for this to allow flexibility as this, i guess, would be a controversy, such as enable/disable the whole feature, immediately / prompt user for confirmation when it's about to whitelist a domain, excluding sites from being frequency-checked, the definition of 'frequent'

it looks like abp has succeeded in educating advertisers & webmasters how to advertise appropriately, so conversely think of this feature as educating abp users to allow ads on sites they benefit from, i'm probably wrong but doesn't abp encourage users to allow ads on sites are useful to them?
or let's just say that there're abp users that accept the argument that ad blocking might hurt websites, & this feature helps them in caring their beloved sites
personally, i want this because i occasionally forget to whitelist sites that i frequently use :)
Last edited by drabun on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
jericdsons

Post by jericdsons »

Hubird wrote:It is already so easy to disable ABP (a simple middle click on the icon and it's done).

I see, Thanks for the help sir!
destructoPop

Post by destructoPop »

This is what I came to this forum to request. I want to see a feature where it automatically does not block ads, but CAN block ads on certain websites. I don't like blocking ads, but I read manga on a site that doesn't screen ads and regularly makes my anti-virus unhappy. I sometimes see links to view articles on news sites I object to, and don't want to support.
iodida

Post by iodida »

its needed indeed, I really dislike ads, but I have a couple of web that I want to support by not adblocking them :)
Doctor9fan

Post by Doctor9fan »

I for one would use this feature on my Android device, it would save having to manually close abp if there's a problem accessing certain pages.
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

This feature does seem nice there are a couple of sights i might use this feature on even if adblock does not cause problems.