Items for FAQ

Discussion on adblockplus.org website and translations
Anonymous Monkey

Items for FAQ

Post by Anonymous Monkey »

I think the FAQ would be more reassuring if these were in it:

(*) Does all internet traffic run through ABP?

The HTTP proxy only filters web traffic. The built-in browser respects the proxy settings, but some apps which send and receive web traffic may not use the proxy settings.

(*) Does the ABP filter slow down my web browsing?

[EDIT: I suspect this depends on your device, but some reassuring text about how it doesn't have any noticeable impact on all but the slowest devices might be reassuring]

(*) Can I use ABP while on mobile data or is it only WiFi?

If your device is rooted then ABP filters all web traffic.

If your device is not rooted, then ABP only filters for WiFi. For ICS/Jellybean, each individual WiFi AP needs to have its proxy settings configured. Thus if you visit a new place and join its WiFi hotspot, ABP is not used until you configure it as a proxy for that WiFi Access Point.

Advanced users on non-rooted devices can use ABP to filter mobile data by configuring their APN to use the proxy. [EDIT: a link to separate advanced instructions page]
[EDIT: Mobile networks -> Access Point Names, read through your APN settings, create a new APN with the same settings and set proxy/port according to ABP instructions]
[EDIT: I find this to work for me but obviously haven't tested it extensively on several devices ... found the instructions on a forum and thought they should be shared with people who are interested and the best way to get the info to those who need it is in ABP FAQs, right?]
dunxd

Re: Items for FAQ

Post by dunxd »

I managed to get this working, and added it to the Adblock Plus blog at blog/adblock-plus-for-android-issues-wi ... es#c004571

Here it is updated with the now standard port number:
Click on your current APN and then take a note of all the settings.
Create a New APN with a different name.
Add the settings you copied down.
For the Proxy set localhost
For the Port set 2020
Save the APN.
Select it with the radio button.
This worked on my HTC Wildfire and One S running ICS, and on Moto G running KitKat.

The downside is that there is no interface to add hosts to bypass, and at least the Moto G OTA update host is blocked by AdBlock.