Idea - Running ads for ABP

Discussion on adblockplus.org website and translations
steveg

Idea - Running ads for ABP

Post by steveg »

I was wondering if anyone has tried running ads specifically for promoting the installation and use of ABP. This sounds kind of counter intuitive at first, but it could also be wildly successful potentially. The people that will become future users of ABP are the ones presently unhappy with the state of digital marketing. The best way to reach them is to put up ads calling out the fact that there is an alternative.

I'm tempted to play around with this idea some so I'd be very interested to hear if anyone at adblockplus.org or other interested 3rd parties have gone this route. I imagine there could be some pushback from the ad networks themselves. However if they're getting paid, maybe they will accept a short term profit for a long term loss.

Thoughts?
lewisje

Re: Idea - Running ads for ABP

Post by lewisje »

I think Betafish (the company behind AdBlock, a competitor) actually did this sort of thing once.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
blueedgebusiness

Post by blueedgebusiness »

I think this idea of running ads to promote ABP is intriguing. It does seem counterintuitive at first, but it might just work. The logic that those unhappy with the current state of digital marketing might be the future users of ABP makes sense. It's about targeting the right audience with a solution to the issues they're facing.
shanijazz

Post by shanijazz »

Yeah, that's an interesting idea. It would be kind of like using the enemy's weapons against them. It would definitely be worth exploring further.