[Done] Moving documentation into a wiki

Discussion on adblockplus.org website and translations
Wladimir Palant

Re: Moving documentation into a wiki

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Yes, I updated Anwiki - and it is applying some HTML code formatting to images now which breaks them. I'll need to change the way images are implemented (had to be done anyway, translating images is unnecessarily hard right now).
Wladimir Palant

Ok, all fixed now - images and animations no longer go through the usual HTML transformations. Also, you can now open an image page like anwiki/en/images/screenshot_toolbar.png and will have the usual menu there (doesn't make translating images too easy yet since the data needs to be base64-encoded but it is a step into the right direction).
alberto

Post by alberto »

It looks like the functionality to see differences between revisions is disabled / not working. For example, on anwiki/?a=lastchanges the latest content changes shows "-" on the "Diff" column.

What's the plan going forward for the website restructure and new content? This would require "edit" access for contributors writing new content, as the "translate" action is only to tweak some sentences (but not change meaning / add stuff as does not mark the remaining languages as untranslated)
Wladimir Palant

@alberto: Thank you, filed a new Anwiki bug: http://bugs.anwiki.com/index.php?do=details&task_id=108. I changed the configuration to work around that problem so it should be working now.

I think the plan is to give "edit" permission only to a few users. Given that it requires editing HTML code this is probably a good thing. Also, I already used "edit" accidentally a few times when I only meant to tweak a string - with the result that translations of that string were suddenly gone.
alberto

Post by alberto »

Thanks. The diff function seems to highlight more changes that the actual tweaks that were done. It displays complete sections as new (green) and then previous ones as deleted (red), whilst only few specific paragraphs were changed (should probably show only that paragraph as changed / blue?)

For example, diff in Anwiki shows anwiki/?page=6889&revto=7367&a=diff
but only few tweaks were done, compared to Mercurial repository https://hg.adblockplus.org/www/diff/37d ... ent-builds

Wondering if only few tweaks are going to (incorrectly) invalidate a huge chunk of translated sections e.g. when adding new stuff in "edit" more. I appreciate the auto-sync (following the content edit) and diff are different aspects but may use the same logic...
Wladimir Palant

Yes, the diff function isn't great which is why I wanted to have things in Mercurial ASAP. Blue means "moved" by the way. If anybody has time and is willing to look at some PHP code, you can find it under http://svnweb.tuxfamily.org/filedetails ... _diffs.php (called from http://svnweb.tuxfamily.org/filedetails ... n_diff.php). I would like to know as well what's wrong with it but I can live with viewing diffs in Mercurial so I won't spend time on this.

Edits actually work fine - they invalidate only the string changed, moving things around is also recognized just fine. I would expect the same algorithm to be used here as for the diffs so the diffs producing results that wrong is surprising.

Btw, at this point I am responsible for one third of all Anwiki bugs ever filed. Yes, it is somewhat less mature than desirable. On the other hand, it is a great system once the quirks are sorted out.
Wladimir Palant

Forum users who don't meet the requirements (5 forum posts) can now be granted Anwiki access on individual basis - done.
nitrox

Post by nitrox »

Just wanted to let you know that if i try to view the Anwiki in normal mode rather than secure mode the site is broken. The style sheets and java scripts aren't loaded.
It occurs on latest Minefield 4.0 Pre Beta 6 and Firefox 4.0 Beta 5 Build 1. In firefox 3.6 it works fine.

A screenshot - http://i52.tinypic.com/2aepg88.jpg

I read on the blog post that
anybody who has more than 5 forum posts should be able to log in with their forum user name and password (at least one of the posts needs to be more than a week old)
Just tried to login with my forum username and password and got an error.
No user with such username and password
I really don't need a login in anwiki for now. Just tested it to see if it works.
Fanboy list Co-Maintainer

Fanboy Adblock List's

Fanboy List Forum
Wladimir Palant

@nitrox: Ouch, nice catch. I remember looking into this issue a while ago but somehow I ended up leaving it alone. Fixed now (and filed Anwiki bug: http://bugs.anwiki.com/index.php?do=details&task_id=112).

I just checked - you definitely should be able to log in. Maybe you were trying when I was experimenting? Could you try again?
nitrox

Post by nitrox »

The http version of anwiki seem to work fine now.

Still getting the same error when i try to login.

Sidenote, Today i am getting the below error a lot. Is it because you are experimenting with site? It occurs in anwiki and forum.

Code: Select all

The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later. 
Edit: Especially when i try to login or logout. Let me know if you need more details.
Fanboy list Co-Maintainer

Fanboy Adblock List's

Fanboy List Forum
Wladimir Palant

nitrox, the server is overloaded unfortunately, too many subscription downloads coming in. I've identified the reason and things should hopefully get better soon. In the meantime, I've started a script now that will reject some SSL connections - this should make the server usable again. However, if you are using the SSL version of the site you won't be able to connect to the server occasionally.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Could the message that users are unable to change a page containing JavaScript please be displayed before they start to translate, as opposed to after users have attempted to save their work?
Wladimir Palant

@Michael: I guess the message is: "You don't have the permission to edit potentially unsafe contents, such as javascript and iframes." And the other guess is that you were changing en/abp_linkfactory, en/deregifier, or en/redundancy_check. I'll move these scripts out of the page body. And file an Anwiki bug.

Edit: Filed Anwiki bug: http://bugs.anwiki.com/index.php?do=details&task_id=113. Unfortunately, simply moving the scripts wasn't sufficient, I had to disable this check altogether. But you should be able to change these pages now.
Michael

Post by Michael »

The assumptions made were absolutely correct, and I can confirm that I am now able to alter the page in question.
Wladimir Palant

Michael, the three pages mentioned above are tricky - they contain some hidden text, these are error messages which is not obvious when you see them on the translation page. So I changed en/abp_linkfactory, it is "Please enter the location of the subscription" again.