I'll post a few mockups here and would like to have your comments. Here is a first one:
This is how the new home page might look like - the first page a user will see when he comes to the site. Notes:
- It is possible to start installation directly from the first page. Most content from https://adblockplus.org/en/installation is moved here.
- Nobody looks at system requirements so they can be moved to a separate page.
- https://adblockplus.org/en/getting_started (which will need improvements) is becoming the central piece of documentation, linked directly from this first page.
- Screenshots are linked to under the demo video, no other links to the screenshots page should be necessary.
- No link to https://adblockplus.org/en/roadmap, it should be better to link it under "contribute" - there it is more likely to be found by the right audience.
General notes on the site layout:
- Some text or logo above menu should be necessary to make clear what this website is about. I thought about putting some short slogan like "be in control" there (along with "Adblock Plus" and icon of course).
- There are only four top-level menu entries, these lead to pages explaining users their choices.
- Support section will link to the forum (for questions and bug reports) as well as various end-user documentation resources (especially https://adblockplus.org/en/known-issues and https://adblockplus.org/en/getting_started). Some text on choosing subscriptions with a link to https://adblockplus.org/en/subscriptions is also necessary.
- Community section will link to the forum again and the various blogs (https://adblockplus.org/releases/, https://adblockplus.org/development-builds/ and https://adblockplus.org/blog/).
- Contribute section will be essentially a rewritten version of https://adblockplus.org/en/faq_project#contribute with additional links to https://adblockplus.org/en/roadmap and https://adblockplus.org/en/source. This page will also link to documentation for subscription maintainers and that documentation will in turn link to the particular web tools (https://adblockplus.org/en/tools).
- The "About Adblock Plus" link at the bottom of the page will lead to a short description of the project also featuring a very brief (a few sentences) description of the whole Adblock vs. Adblock Plus thing. https://adblockplus.org/en/history really needs to go, nobody is interested in that old stuff any more.
What I am not really sure about is where to put information on other extensions - Element Hiding Helper and Diagnostics, suggestions are welcome. But other than that all the website content is accounted for I think.
Comments? Corrections? Suggestions? Somebody volunteering to write the text?