talking about filters, patterns, filter options

Discussion on adblockplus.org website and translations
maybee

talking about filters, patterns, filter options

Post by maybee »

what is different from patterns and filter options in Filter Composer?
and what is different from filters and patterns?

alberto defined this :
pattern Usually refers the part the filter that is compared with request addresses, essentially the filter without its options
what is different from patterns and filter options in Filter Composer?
first, I think both patterns and filter options are to match the addressses requested commonly.
but there is a difference. patterns contain the parts of addresses and wildcard character can be used. on the other hand filter options don't have those. the combination of the both determine the applied ranges of filters.
the combination normally is for making general filter rule and they are reflected in filters. we know the fact that patters can become filters. of course filter options are optional.

Second, what is different from filters and patterns?
To create filters it is necessary to make text strings matching the addresses.
that is that the text strings are patterns. patterns only is a text strings to finding the matching addresses as parts of them. so there are many patterns (containing suggested patterns) in filter composer. For many case These two concepts sometimes can have the same or not . patterns are materials to create filters. but I don't know the difference between them definetly.

In addition I suggest a concept 'Advert Keyword'.
I defined Advert Keyword is the most important strings to block and hide such as banner, ads, affiliate, etc.
Wladimir Palant

Re: talking about filters, patterns, filter options

Post by Wladimir Palant »

That definition actually comes from me. The terms pattern and filter used to be synonyms - but filters have grown more complex with all the various things you can tweak and that can no longer be described as a "pattern". In particular, element hiding filters or comments have no "patterns". So currently pattern only describes the part of the filter that is compared to an address. Some outdated documentation might still refer to patterns in a different sense - that needs to be fixed.
alberto

Re: talking about filters, patterns, filter options

Post by alberto »

I expanded the definition of filters and patterns to clarify these concepts.

Feel free to edit the glossary and amend if necessary