what is the meaning of "regain" (control of the internet)

Discussion on adblockplus.org website and translations

what is the meaning of "regain" (control of the internet)

Postby maybee » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Annoyed by adverts? Troubled by tracking? Bothered by banners? Install Adblock Plus now to regain control of the internet and change the way that you view the web. You can also choose from over forty filter subscriptions to automatically configure the add-on for purposes ranging from removing online advertising to blocking all known malware domains.


Michael wrote:When writing the section my intention was to convey the number of different methods through which content may be filtered, and the extent to which it may be done. Adblock Plus permits users to alter almost any aspect of a website, and therefore provides users with control of what they ultimately view.


What is the meaning of "regain"? that is "regain", not "gain".
Does Users have originally the control of the Internet and then lost it?

If You have info related the control of the Internet, the info will be useful to me.
maybee
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Re: what is the meaning of "regain" (control of the internet)

Postby LorenzoC » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:56 pm

Honestly the above statement is a bit optimistic. Or a declaration of intents. Either a bit or marketing. :)
In fact ABP does not "permit users to alter almost any aspect of a website" either it allow users to "get control of the internet".
For two reason, one is technical, currently ABP allows to block embedded objects and to hide HTML elements. Which is not close to "alter any aspect" of a website" which would require the ability to substitute inline CSS/HTML/JS code blocks (not only removing) and this would be much more difficult for "users" than current filter rules. The other reason is of course the idea of "control of the Internet", this should be better read as "you can remove annoyances from web pages you visit every day so you can have a better experience and easier access to actual contents". A more subtle item is the "You can also choose from over forty filter subscriptions" which actually means if you rely on subscriptions you aren't in control of anything, instead you trust somebody else to decide what to block and what to hide on Web sites you visit. Speaking of "security", while blocking "all known malware domains" IMHO is not much realistic, blocking adservers increases security for sure, given the fact that adservers are often used to distribute malware without the consent of the Web site owners. You could also disable all "third party" scripts via ABP but in my experience it disables too much stuff on today's Internet.
LorenzoC
 

Re: what is the meaning of "regain" (control of the internet)

Postby Michael » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:10 pm

maybee wrote:Does Users have originally the control of the Internet and then lost it?

This is certainly the implication of the statement although, as LorenzoC has pointed out, these sentences focus on piquing interest rather than being 100% accurate. The message that I attempted to convey was that advertisers and trackers had taken over the internet, although users had the opportunity to choose what they wanted to view, thereby regaining control.

LorenzoC wrote:Which is not close to "alter any aspect" of a website"

You have misquoted me: I asserted that "Adblock Plus permits users to alter almost any aspect of a website", with "almost" being a key word in this context. I did not promise that every facet of a website may be altered due to the limitations that you have mentioned.
LorenzoC wrote:A more subtle item is the "You can also choose from over forty filter subscriptions" which actually means if you rely on subscriptions you aren't in control of anything, instead you trust somebody else to decide what to block and what to hide on Web sites you visit.

Are the Government still in control despite the fact that they don't directly enforce laws they enact and instead rely on the judicial system, a third-party to uphold their legislation?
LorenzoC wrote:Speaking of "security", while blocking "all known malware domains" IMHO is not much realistic, blocking adservers increases security for sure, given the fact that adservers are often used to distribute malware without the consent of the Web site owners.

The subscription that I refer to in this instance is Malware Domains, and I certainly regard it as realistic to expect to block all known malware domains; however, I would certainly not recommend Adblock Plus as an alternative to a decent anti-virus program.
Michael
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: what is the meaning of "regain" (control of the internet)

Postby LorenzoC » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:56 pm

First, let me say that it is rather obvious you aren't in control when you rely on somebody else to take decisions instead of you.
The best you can hope for is to be "informed" of those decisions.

OT (sorry):
"Are the Government still in control despite the fact that they don't directly enforce laws they enact and instead rely on the judicial system, a third-party to uphold their legislation?"

It is a strange question. First of all the "Government" is usually made by a Prime Minister and Ministers and its role is to manage the State. The Government operates under control of both the Parliament and the Judiciary System. The Parliament makes the laws as independent Power and the Judiciary System applies the Law ans another independent Power. The Parliament and the Judiciary System aren't in control of each other, they are separated and independent on purpose as one of the basic principle of democracy. Speaking of democracy, I would say all the above Powers should be under control of citizens. Sadly this is only partially true due to the fact that the world is not perfect either democracy.
LorenzoC
 

Re: what is the meaning of "regain" (control of the internet)

Postby malwaredomains » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:12 am

While the malwaredomains subscription blocks a lot of malware domains, in no way does it block "ALL KNOWN MALWARE DOMAINS".

And it never claimed to.

It should be seen as part of a defense-in-depth approach... which should include good antivirus, not browsing the web as administrator, use of additional plugins/defenses like Web of Trust, hphosts, noscript, etc

PS - Please consider contributing to malwaredomains.com if you feel it is useful. Thanks
malwaredomains
 

Re: what is the meaning of "regain" (control of the internet)

Postby malwaredomains » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:20 am

malwaredomains
 

Re: what is the meaning of "regain" (control of the internet)

Postby vasa1 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:55 am

maybee wrote:...
What is the meaning of "regain"? that is "regain", not "gain".
...


While it's certainly a valid question, I'd say the words in question were somewhat metaphorical and not something to be looked at too analytically, literally, or technically.

I think those who've been using the 'net for quite a while, and can remember Lynx, Gopher, Archie, and the rest, would surely feel that ABP does allow one to regain control to a large extent.

What follows maybe off-topic though I hope not since ease of viewing a page is also an aspect of control ...

Now if only a little attention is paid to making this site a little more user-friendly :mrgreen: Specifically, if I use
Code: Select all
* { background-color: #a8a8a8 !important; }
in my userContent.css, I don't see various aspects of this forum such as the "quote" and "reply" buttons. (There are a few folks who don't like the white page background common to so many pages as it stresses their eyes.)
vasa1
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:59 am

Re: what is the meaning of "regain" (control of the internet)

Postby Michael » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:45 am

I do not think it unreasonable that the Malware Domains subscription blocks all malware domains that it knows about or, in other words, that it blocks a domain that it is alerted to and does nothing about domains that it is not aware of. You have placed the emphasis on the "all", which is necessarily incorrect; I placed it on the "known". As previously stated, "I would certainly not recommend Adblock Plus as an alternative to a decent anti-virus program".

LorenzoC, my analogy was intended to convey that the Government's proposals, which are usually adopted by Parliament because they constitute the majority of the House of Commons, make regulations about how the country should be run. The police and the legal system then enforce and interpret their commands respectively. In a similar manner the user issues a general command ("block adverts") and it is the responsibility of the subscription to interpret this as best as possible. The extent to which the user is in control is probably a philosophical rather than a practical question, but I would suggest that the fact that they chose to use a subscription means that they are still in charge of the overall functionality of the add-on, if not every decision made by the subscription. Furthermore, the fact that users have the ability to disable subscription filters, add their own, and even remove unwanted subscriptions entirely, suggests that they are still in control of what they block; it is simply that many choose not to exercise this authority.
Michael
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: what is the meaning of "regain" (control of the internet)

Postby LorenzoC » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:36 am

Michael I don't agree for a very simple reason:
If there wasn't any subscription people had two choices, either learn how to use ABP on their own or to not use ABP.
Subscriptions are very convenient because they let people to use ABP without any understanding of how it works.
Which may be "good" for them but the whole thing is based on TRUST not on CONTROL.
People who use a subscription put their trust in the fact that the authors take the best decisions on what block/allow/hide in their best interest. But if you look at things closer you understand that Wladimir has to be careful on what ABP permits to subsciption authors to not transform ABP in an hacking vector and then a subscription author could take "bad" decisions, either from a technical point of view (wrong rules) or about something that should not be blocked/hidden or something that should instead. For example a very popular subscription could easily shut down a Web site for political/religious/personal reasons.

You say people can still disable subscriptions: true.
But there is the little detail that given the "trusting/passive approach", many people don't understand the difference between ABP and subscriptions and they aren't capable of understanding what a subscription does (or does not). So the "control" they have is just theory, in reality they just see stuff appearing and disappearing without a clue.

I am not saying subscriptions are BAD.
I am saying subscriptions are about TRUST which basically is the opposite of CONTROL.
LorenzoC
 

Re: what is the meaning of "regain" (control of the internet)

Postby Michael » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:05 pm

While users cannot alter subscriptions directly, they can control the items that are loaded or hidden in the browser through the use of Adblock Plus, even if this is in theory rather than practice. I would therefore advocate that they remain in control, although seldom exercise their authority.
Michael
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: what is the meaning of "regain" (control of the internet)

Postby maybee » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:31 pm

thank you for reply, everyone.
It's important for Users to have the control of the Internet both directly and indirectly.
In control indirectly, the feedback system by users might be needed for criticism of filter subscriptions.
because it is like Representative democracy which is an indirect form of democracy.
maybee
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Re: what is the meaning of "regain" (control of the internet)

Postby LorenzoC » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:22 pm

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far far away...

There was a Republic and a Senate. The Lord of the Sith organizes disorders across the Republic using a puppet "Guild of the Merchants". In response of those disorders the Senate gives the Lord of the Sith, disguised as leader of the Senate, the authority to form and lead an army of clones to regain control over the troubled territories. But once in charge the Lord of the Sith turns his army against the Republic and, for the sake of citizens, transforms the decadent Republic in the Empire.

Careful when you chose the representatives. :)
LorenzoC
 

Re: what is the meaning of "regain" (control of the internet)

Postby maybee » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:54 pm

LorenzoC wrote:But if you look at things closer you understand that Wladimir has to be careful on what ABP permits to subsciption authors to not transform ABP in an hacking vector and then a subscription author could take "bad" decisions, either from a technical point of view (wrong rules) or about something that should not be blocked/hidden or something that should instead. For example a very popular subscription could easily shut down a Web site for political/religious/personal reasons.

I agree with you.
Last edited by maybee on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
maybee
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Reasonable blocking

Postby maybee » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:45 pm

Image

purpose
changing the whole Internet
  • quantity : Good ads↑, bad ads↓
  • quality : The ads on the web pages harmonize with the contents.

Goals
  • internal goal : solving problem of inconvenience due to intrusive and annoying ads.
  • external goal : making sites to change their Ad Policies.
    • filter subscription policies for creteria and maintenance/management (option : precedent or policy applied case)
    • feedback by blocking/allowing ads
backgroud of user control
(Attribute of web page) Web page generally is a unit for getting information. Without specific software or setting it is difficult for users to get information selectively. Using content is almost accompanied by ads on a web page. Due to combined information Users can't have a choice in information that users want to view.

(Ads and the weak) but Every ad is not good for users. some have immoral, violent, suggestive, unhealthy substance. and others have a way which is intrusive, annoying, disturbing. User who don't have a solution tend to exposed more risky, unhealth, annoying information like bad ads. and they can't help viewing the annoying ads. which means users are the weak should view combined information on a web page.

(the right of chice in information) Users who can't choose information are the weak. with Some software like greasemonky, Stylish, Adblock Plus allow them to control and customize downloaded web pages by blocking file and hiding elements. the redesinging web pages guarantee freedom of chice in information and exprience in convenience aparted from annoying and unsound ads.

Users' Control
(relationship and control)
Image
  • direct control : by user's cumstom filter
  • indirect control : it's a base on trust relationship between users and filter maintainers. indirect control is based upon a premise that is filter list of users are synchronized with that of filter maintainer.
    filter maintainers' filter list is divided into two groups
    • filters which every users want to block commonly; filters which filter maintainers write are ideally what users want to block.
    • filters which every users don't want to block commonly; Users have a different way of blocking/allowing level at internet ads. it looks like that users don't have the control.
      but in reality there are 2 ways for reflection of their standard to filter subscriptions. e.g. the misuse of authority by filter maintainers,
      • filter issues as a feedback are submitted to filter maintainer
      • each users can treat with the filter issue by whitelisting filters for blocked ads and adding filters for unblocked ads. that is the customization of filter list. it can satisfy users' blocking need and allow users control web pages.
        regardless of ability of writting filters users can receive help for custom filters from filter maintainer or adblock plus forum(Filters for Adblock Plus), etc.

        so users have the control of webpages indirectly


Filtering Level
there is a deviation in blocking/allowing ads from filter subscription to filter subscription. filter subscritions which blocking more than others tend to get more popularity. but they should have the minimum level of blocking/allowing ads. So filter subscriptions are needed to be subject to basic rule about filtering level. in addition the policy control bad decision of filter maintainers by uers. So a contract between developer and filter maintainers might be needed. It can determine the minimum level of blocking/allowing ads like constitutional law.
Image
website admins or owners might want to avoid ad blocking and advertise their ads.
http://adblockplus.org/blog/an-approach ... d-blocking
but they might not know how they advertise anything. I think this project would be better to help them to make desirable advertising surroundings.
the guideline focuses on website admins or owner who want to pursue so-called win-win situation and filterlist maintainer.
if the guideline is made they can know how they make advertisements by it.
That is everybody should be able to be predictable any ads which will be blocked such as law.

these are just ideas.

1. Ads targeted by Advertising regulation can be blocked like illegal, suggestive Display Ads.
Advertising regulation
Because laws and rules related Advertising regulation often don't block illegal, suggestive Display Ads.
I think filter maintainer would be better to read them.

2. Ads cause the inconveniences of usage on a webpage to the Internet users.
1-1. shape and size (ex huge sized banner)
1-2. position (or layout)
1-3. technique (ex Interstitial ad, high-pitched sound on the start-page)

3. discriminate between first party and third party Ads (option)
self promotion is not specifically blocked
e.g. Wikimedia fundraising banners (by Michael)

we need to classify annoying ads to regulate.
and I think filter maintainer and general users have something in common with action of Ad blocking.


feedback system

I think its purpose "changing the whole Internet" means each site changes their Advertising Policies. So the message of Adblock Plus Project should be sent to them by blocking or allowing ads as a feedback.

  • direct message : flter maintanience policy or blocking/allowing ads guidline written by developer and filter maintainers → help sites maintain or change their advertising policy → annoying ads on the whole internet will be decreased.
  • indirect message
    • blocking ads(negative feedback) -> advertising industry(low frofit from ads and changing adverting policy --> annoying ads on the whole internet will be decreased.
    • allowing ads(positive feedback) -> advertising industry(high or modest profit from ads -> maintaining the advertisng policy -> good, useful ads on the whole internet will be increased.

* the result of blocking/allowing ads reflects users' message or need. by reviewing the result we can take a decision about good or bad ads or desirable advertising ways. the written policy plays a role as a direct message like loadmap on adblockplus.org. filter maintainer and users and the persons related sites providing content with ads need to know the standard.

◆ internet service
  • fee internet service
  • free internet service
    profit from :
    • donations
    • advertising profit
      - focused using content the role of ads
      • offering contents continously
      • improving content-using environment e.g. webdesign
      • make content increaing and their quality high

Issues
Feedback System for solving the misuse of authority:
  • by Users (loyal users or volunteers who can monitor changelog and review filtering validity by visiting sites after filter maintainers work
  • notice users of their Policy for check and criticism.
  • Filter maintaining Guidline which can commonly apply to Filter Maintainers at a minimum.
    e.g. adwords : http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bi ... olicy&rd=1
    guide of advertising self-regulation(IAA) : http://www.iaaglobal.net/default.aspx?i ... print=true
  • Open the added filters and the reason they should be blocked. and blocking ads on a site might cause damage to the site. filter maintainers must be careful before blocking ads. Posting its reasons helps the action be careful. in additon the reasons are used to deliver the message that users want to view ads or not to site's owners case by case. Fortunately, If the owners view the reason then the owners will get to talk about the case for desirable ways with filter maintainer. or they might do the self-regulatory approach. the advertising policy of many sites should be changed. after all Users want to be web annoying-free without adblocking softwares.
    e.g. ABP Japanese Filter
    filter : ||example.com^$third-party
    reason : Block third-party iframes leading to spam landing page like viagra pharmacy.


According to users, there are some issues.
(controling users' abuse of control) there is an abuse of users' control as well. blocking ads too much.
a solution :
  1. On software and the document of Homepage, installl page there are warning labels stating that blocking too much is not good to the whole Internet like warning on cigarette pagck.
    e.g. No blocking too much, Keep a balance between content and ad.
  2. it is a work-around.
    the way of allowing ads for controling abuse of users' control by filter maintainers.
    • Not adding filter for blocking ads
    • Adding whitelisted filter rules for allowing ads.
(developing users' writting filter abilities) making a menual like wiki system mainly written by filter maintainers.
For general users There was a lack of only description of writting filters available in reality. and Important details were not clearly organized on the forum. So the learners need much time to write practical filters. organizing the information of writing filters might be needed. i wish general users can write optimized fiters in a minimum.
and site map help users understand about the project and Adblock Plus.
e.g the site Map of open source project and Adblock Plus

Adblock Plus Project
1. development step : development discussroadmaptask schedule, weblog(development build) → Announcements
2. Adblock Plus (Firefox) ---------------(Chrome)
3. practical writting filters (written by filter maintainers)
  • requirement : Adblock Plus, Element Hiding Helper, Custom buttons(option)
  • blocking filter
    • URL?
    • filter matching algorithm
    • process : list of blockable items --> filter composer
    • pattern, options
  • element hiding rules
    • CSS?
    • domain, sectors
4. management of filter subscription (for maintainers)
  • policy
  • system : e.g. AdblockRules.org - specialized filter list DB management
  • ethics of blocking ads
  • Knowledge which built up filter subscription maintainer's experience(now nothing is built up knowledge)

[updated 5.4.2011]
blockable ads criteria (which I think)
  1. Number of ad optimization( Adservers, third-party servers should be blocked)
  2. Protect the content section(floating banners, inserted ads into content, etc)
  3. Minimize dynamic ads(dynmic flash banner, moving banner, etc)
Last edited by maybee on Sat May 07, 2011 3:08 am, edited 7 times in total.
maybee
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Re: what is the meaning of "regain" (control of the internet)

Postby maybee » Wed May 04, 2011 8:42 am

notice
We want to make the Internet better for everyone. Purging bad ads is a good start.
Adblock Plus is an open-source project addressing the problem of annoying and intrusive online advertising by putting users in control.


goal : providing sites with creteria of allowing ads. it affects to their Ad Policy and make the Internet to reduce the number of bad ads. that's it will help changing the Internet.

necessity of allowing ads
users properly are need to meet Ads which harmonious with contents of the Internet.
  1. allowing ads makes users to use useful production/service information.
  2. the sites displays good and useful ads will be fairly rewarded for their effort.
  3. advertising profit help sites and users a lot in many ways.

Image

general principle
  • users have priority
    When Users and site owners' intrests run counter to each other users have prior. that is that filter maintainers select blocking ads instead of allowing ads.
  • technical efficiency priority :

acceptable ads criteria
  • third-party ads (which is not intrusive and annoying).
    the number of ads on a web page is a basic and essential creterion which can judge their intrusion and annoyingness. though each ad is good some sites have many good ads. but many ads makes users to feel ill at ease. Users can't controle the number of third party ads on each site. So the number of ads should be controled. I think the proper number of ads is 5 unit at the most. the ad units mean ad sections. for example thumnail image banner have some images. so the ad section is a ad unit.
    • third party adservers : third party ads which we can't control or expect the number of ads should be blocked. and almost the servers host mass ads.
      exceptively good third party adservers should be allowed. but this needs strict conditions. e.g : an adserver which has only desirable advertising method can be allowed.
    • very useful and valuable third party ads should be allowed. e.g. a donation banner for poor countries, shopping section
    * We will leave the decision about allowing 3rd-party ads to filter maintainers' discretion.
    * you would be better to make 'allowing ads list'. it might be domains list related 3rd-party ads
  • first-party ads (which is not intrusive and annoying).
    1. text ads : e.g - google's search advertising (at the right side of the page), google custom search
    2. banner ads which just is image files)
      • Static banners
      • Animated banners(gif formatted files) : If uses click on the ESC key you can make its motion stopped.
    3. first party adservers : condition - limited the number of the ads on their pages at least.
    * exceptively good first party adservers should be allowed. this needs relaxer conditions than that of third-party.
    * If flash banners are not intrusived some should be allowed exceptively. e.g a flash banner is not dynamic it might be allowed.
    * For animated banners If users suffer from them such as visual tiredness they should be blocked.

method of allowing ads
  • Active allowing : whitelisting blocking/element hiding filters. that's add whitelisting filters to filter list.
  • passive allowing : doesn't add blocking/element hiding filters to filter list.

effectiveness
  1. the number of filters should be reduced.
  2. Sound blocking action

* first of all We need to grasp the exact state of affairs regarding creteria of ad-blocking and the Ad Policy of major sites as well. and find out real good ads on many sites(case research).

Ad Policies
maybee
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:48 pm


Return to Website and translations

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests