Adblock Plus starts late, impacting initial page

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Taipan

Re: [549] Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Post by Taipan »

I've tested that latest dev build several different ways and it doesn't seem to resolve the subject of this thread. At least not in a reliable way. Some investigation shows requests escaping before ABP has finished loading all of its rules. I suspect async file IO is playing a role in this.

What are you guys seeing?
Oded

Post by Oded »

It simply does not work, what a shame.

- Installed the latest dev version., I now have 2.6.1.3823
- Changed the config parameter: extensions.adblockplus.please_kill_startup_performance;true
- Closed FF29, restarted - and same thing - initial page loads with ads

Disappointed!
mapx

Post by mapx »

add your comments on the tracker:
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/549
kilara1988

Post by kilara1988 »

I tested the new pref too and it seemed to have worked only once after i turned it on.After that it was not working any more.Tested in new profile with only ABP addon and its the same-only first time worked.
illbeatzanys

Post by illbeatzanys »

I experienced the exact same behavior as kilara1988.
Supertramp

Post by Supertramp »

Drat, that's what I feared in my earlier comments. Well that's the regular hurdles of development :)
User54421

Post by User54421 »

yeah its not working here either.

"In other words, we would need a separate, synchronous reading path triggered by this preference "
for us "non programmers", what does this mean?
Supertramp

Post by Supertramp »

It would require to build a separate way to load the rules from the hard drive.

Currently it is done asynchronously, meaning Firefox continues its loading process while the rules are being read from the hard drive.
With the new preference turned on, Firefox should wait for the rules to be ready before continuing. There is a big difference in programming between synchronous and asynchronous I/O*, and if we are to read the hard drive synchronously it must be implemented separately, as a different branch in the code.

Depending on the needs this branch can be small or big, but whenever you have several branches, you must update and test all of them any time you add a feature affecting that part of the app. So it's not an ideal solution. I hope they won't give up on that please_kill_startup_performance pref though :|

* Input/Output. For a hard drive it's the read/write operations.
chuggerguy

Post by chuggerguy »

When Firefox is closed, write the filters currently being used to a "lastUsedFilters" file.

When Firefox is opened, read and activate the filters contained in the "lastUsedFilters" file first, then load the general filters.

Just thinking out loud, probably shouldn't, sorry.
Cucamonga

Post by Cucamonga »

Isn't it kind of disingenuous to mark #549 closed to comment when the fix doesn't actually work?

I have not had any issues with the behavior in 2.6 on my Windows machines but the failure of blocking is readily apparent in Firefox on my Android tablet. I use Adblock Plus as much for privacy as for the actual blocking, and unlike my PCs I have little recourse under Android; clearing cookies is all-or-nothing, requiring me to reset all my site-specific settings and logons for all the sites I visit and start over each time Adblock Plus fails.

I tried going to the development build and setting the snarkily-named preference, but it did not improve anything. Rolling back to 2.5.1 doesn't help, as I cannot find any way to disable automatic updates.

Since it seems that this is the intended behavior from now on, would it at least be possible to provide some sort of indicator visible on Firefox for Android that would signal the user when Adblock Plus is actually functional?

Post by 790 »

FF 25
Adblock Plus 2.6.3 starts late, I see ads 1 sec.
Comeback to 2.5, I don`t see ads, but FF starts late 1 sec.
Oded

Post by Oded »

Exactly.
I've stopped updating Adblock. Am using 2.5.1 with no issues.

Too bad the fix suggested does not work (I've tried it).
Cucamonga

Post by Cucamonga »

Oded wrote:Exactly.
I've stopped updating Adblock. Am using 2.5.1 with no issues.

Too bad the fix suggested does not work (I've tried it).
Is there a way to keep ABP from automatically updating from 2.5.1 on Firefox for Android?

For now, I've started using this workaround on my tablet - after booting up, before doing anything that might call Firefox, I use a Home Screen shortcut to go to this page - http://simple-adblock.com/faq/testing-your-adblocker/ - and refresh it a couple of times until it confirms that ABP is functional. I then refrain from completely quitting Firefox until I shut the tablet down. This way, I don't have to worry about another app launching Firefox and loading up a bunch of tracking cookies before ABP gets around to working.
User54421

Post by User54421 »

Whats next? #549 did not fix it...
Are they still working on legit fix, or was that it???
Very bad communications i must say.