Not blocking ads on Galaxy S 5

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
dave1977nj

Not blocking ads on Galaxy S 5

Post by dave1977nj »

Hi, I have AT&T Galaxy S 5 Android 4.4.2. Unfortunately ads are not being blocked. Either it's not working for Android 4.4.2 and needs to be updated or the filter lists do not have the blocking lists for apps (Ad Mob) etc and some other sites. I hope someone can help me out with this I really hate all of the ads and some are malicious, I used to use Ad-away but you need root and that worked great on my S III but as of now there is no root option for AT&T and Version Galaxy S 5. If anyone has any suggestions I would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Dave
nexus5user

Re: Not blocking ads on Galaxy S 5

Post by nexus5user »

It isn't working for nexus5,either
p_hill

Post by p_hill »

"Android devices without root will not be able to block ads on 3G connections."
mapx

Post by mapx »

see
forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22561#p97340
forum/viewtopic.php?p=97579#p97579
I have just got this working on an unrooted phone running Android 4.1.2, that is it now blocks ads on the 3g network as well as Wi-Fi.

I did this by adding localhost port 2020 as the proxy in the APN (NB not the MMSC proxy, which should not be altered)

You have to go to "Settings -> More Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Mobile Data -> Access Point names", select your apn and write in "Proxy" the word "localhost" and in "Port" the number "2020".

On my smartphone Samsung Galaxy S2 with Android 4.1.2 Adblock Plus works, try this procedure on your smartphone too and let me know...

At the moment the only problem I have with Adblock Plus is when I reboot my device: although I have root permissions, Adblock doesn't filter any advertisements if I don't set the proxy in ALL my internet (mobile and/or wi-fi) networks.
dave1977nj

Post by dave1977nj »

mapx wrote:see
forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22561#p97340
forum/viewtopic.php?p=97579#p97579
I have just got this working on an unrooted phone running Android 4.1.2, that is it now blocks ads on the 3g network as well as Wi-Fi.

I did this by adding localhost port 2020 as the proxy in the APN (NB not the MMSC proxy, which should not be altered)

You have to go to "Settings -> More Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Mobile Data -> Access Point names", select your apn and write in "Proxy" the word "localhost" and in "Port" the number "2020".

On my smartphone Samsung Galaxy S2 with Android 4.1.2 Adblock Plus works, try this procedure on your smartphone too and let me know...

At the moment the only problem I have with Adblock Plus is when I reboot my device: although I have root permissions, Adblock doesn't filter any advertisements if I don't set the proxy in ALL my internet (mobile and/or wi-fi) networks.
OK I tried this and It works for mobile only not wifi, also I loose the 4glte next to my signal icon. But it still does not work on wifi, with or without changing the Mobile Data.
Here is my WiFi Settings

nexus5user

Post by nexus5user »

Erm I know it doesn't block on 3g the problem I have is it blocks nothing at all on WiFi with all the correct settings
dave1977nj

Post by dave1977nj »

Is there anyone working on a fix for this? :cry:
mapx

Post by mapx »

I suggest you to file an issue on the bug tracker:
https://issues.adblockplus.org
dave1977nj

Post by dave1977nj »

mapx wrote:I suggest you to file an issue on the bug tracker:
https://issues.adblockplus.org

I just added it to the bug tracker, hope this gets worked out. Because there is no root option for Verizon and AT&T on the Galaxy S 5
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/644
Last edited by mapx on Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added issue's link
deviker

Post by deviker »

The Sprint Samsung Galaxy S5 has the same problem. I tried it with and without root. I also tried rebooting.
I'm in Europe and my 3G data services are not even enabled.

Adblock doesn't block anything over WIFI.