[Done] Another object tabs idea

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Wladimir Palant

[Done] Another object tabs idea

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I don't know why I didn't think about it before - but you can make object tabs almost transparent. Only if the users moves the mouse to the tab they will become more opaque. This should reduce the perceived clutter due to the tabs. What do you think?

Here is an example of what I mean: http://adblockplus.org/trash/transparent_objtabs.html
Last edited by Wladimir Palant on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

That's actually quite nice. I didn't even notice it at first.
chewey

Re: Opinions requested: another object tabs idea

Post by chewey »

Neat. I like it. It may have to be a little bit less transparent, but I guess that's up to personal taste.

It's a pity this can't be activated by mouseover on the object itself however, this would be even better.
Wladimir Palant

Done - a little less transparent. And yes, it's a pity you cannot detect when the mouse is on the object...
chewey

Post by chewey »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Done - a little less transparent.
You have my vote ;-)
rick752

Post by rick752 »

chewey wrote: You have my vote ;-)
Ditto.
Wladimir Palant

Actually, now it can be made more opaque when the mouse is hovering over the tab, we don't need it to be half-transparent any more. Changed that as well, looks really good IMO.
Dr. Evil

Post by Dr. Evil »

You know there are already now people not finding out how to block flash... I think the idea is good for people who know how to block plugins. But it won't make things easier for those who don't.
Wladimir Palant

There are also people who think that this button means that Adblock Plus blocked something... Do you think it makes any difference for people who don't find out that this is the way to block Flash? Btw, I changed the title of the button now, I meant to do it anyway.
Dr. Evil

Post by Dr. Evil »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Do you think it makes any difference for people who don't find out that this is the way to block Flash?
It'll make the tab less obtrusive, which is good for not breaking the layout, but is also bad because it's harder to spot... I think you'll have to find a reasonable compromise between both.
Wladimir Palant wrote:Btw, I changed the title of the button now, I meant to do it anyway.
What about also adding an explaining tooltip?
Wladimir Palant

I wrote "Block this object with Adblock Plus" in the tooltip. Is there anything else that can be said?
sheepy

Post by sheepy »

How about "click to block this...", and show it in status bar as well? (set defaultStatus? Almost no sites use it)

The first impression is, now at this size we may finally get less navbar disabled by this tag.

While they may further distract and/or confuse users, dynamic transparencies may appeal to the designers, so I'm for it. At least the users get to know what's being covered.
Wladimir Palant

"Click to" is implied I think? As to status bar - cannot do this, the object tab is a link so you will see the address of the object in the status bar.
sheepy

Post by sheepy »

Click to maybe implied, however say it verbosely will save the user from thinking.
Wladimir Palant

This change is now in CVS, development build will be there shortly.