Waiting for ABP extension...

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
merrittjr

Waiting for ABP extension...

Post by merrittjr »

Chrome version 35.0.1916.114 m. I've used this extension for years with no issues, and within the last few days it's become unusable. Any website I try to go to, it will take forever to load and at the bottom of the screen it will say, "Waiting for AdBlock Plus extension..." Facebook will load about 10 posts, and then when scrolling down it will be blank and hang up with the same message at the bottom of the screen. While this is happening I can disable the extension and it will immediately load like it should. Any help?
mapx

Re: Waiting for ABP extension...

Post by mapx »

what's the version of ABP you are using ?
filter lists enabled ?
do you have custom filters ?

what other extensions are installed ? (try disabling all other and re-test keeping enabled only ABP)
merrittjr

Post by merrittjr »

ABP 1.8.3. Easy List. All other extensions disabled and it's still doing the same thing.
mapx

Post by mapx »

check like I said the custom filters (if you see a lot of unknown filters, remove ABP and reinstall it)

so, try:
-uninstall / reinstall ABP
-still happens, create a new profile:
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/142059?hl=en

install ABP, re-test

still happens:
-Did you scan your system for malware / adware ? use http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/ ... ware.shtml
-try re-test keeping enabled only the default windows firewall and disable all your other security software (antivirus, antimalware, other firewalls)
merrittjr

Post by merrittjr »

I have no custom filters. Uninstalling and reinstalling ABP didn't work. Creating a new profile didn't work. This is a work-issued laptop in which I'm not an admin on it, so I can't disable any antivirus or firewalls. It automatically gets scanned on a daily basis with no issues found whatsoever, and it's actually only been used for a few minutes since this issue started. Nothing new has been installed. I'm not sure why after all these years it just starts doing this. I will probably just try another extension.
Alexendoo

Post by Alexendoo »

To confirm in the last few days the same issue has appeared for me also, have tried uninstalling Adblock Plus and Chrome with no luck.
Chrome version 35.0.1916.114 m
Adblock Plus version 1.8.3.
mapx

Post by mapx »

I use the same versions with no problem.
Did you scan for malware / adware ?
Try to clear all cookies / cache of your chrome or create a new profile
Alexendoo

Post by Alexendoo »

Yes, I have tried both, neither of which worked.
mapx

Post by mapx »

which is your op. system ?
did you also try to disable your security software ? (keeping only the default firewall)
mapx

Post by mapx »

try chrome portable (same version 35) - "install" it in a folder on your desktop - install ABP
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/g ... e_portable

be sure ABP is the real one:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ails?hl=en
Alexendoo

Post by Alexendoo »

The issue still persists, sometimes on the new tab page also. Whilst the error is occurring the extension uses 25% CPU, or the maximum for one thread, implying it's at-least trying to do something it shouldn't be.
mapx

Post by mapx »

if you tried the portable chrome 35, could you try also chrome 36 (beta) portable ?
auhni

Post by auhni »

I'm also having this same problem. I have tried the above suggestions and only disabling the extension solves the problem.
tampermonkey

Post by tampermonkey »

merrittjr wrote:I've used this extension for years with no issues, and within the last few days it's become unusable.
Are you using Microsoft Windows?
Did you install a new version of AdBlock Plus from the Google Chrome web store in the last few days?

A fake copy of AdBlock Plus with malware was recently discovered on the Chrome web store.

Chrome app store has a rogue Adblock Plus entry under apps!
forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23489
Any website I try to go to, it will take forever to load
This malware attempts to install a proxy which redirects your web traffic through the hacker's server. This might be the reason for the long delay.
It automatically gets scanned on a daily basis with no issues found whatsoever
Some of this malware has a valid code signing certificate; it may not be detected by the virus scanner. And the scanner will not detect a counterfeit copy of the AdBlock Plus extension either. If you scan for malware, please report the name of any malware that was detected. You should also uninstall AdBlock Plus and install it again to be sure you have the authentic version. But first make a backup copy of the counterfeit AdBlock Plus extension so it can be analyzed by the developers.
merrittjr

Post by merrittjr »

Before those issues I hadn't touched the extension. I've literally had it installed for years without messing with it as I've never had issues. I assure you there are no viruses or malware. I don't mean to be a jerk, as I really do appreciate the help that's been given, but all this time spent messing with this isn't worth the effort when it took me just a few seconds to uninstall the extension and install a different one that works. Reading some of the comments in the Chrome Store, I'm seeing I'm not the only one with this problem.