Question for ABP IE

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Internet Explorer
Syntax

Question for ABP IE

Post by Syntax »

So the ABP for IE doesn't block pop-up ads? or there's something wrong with my system.

and when I browse through facebook, at first, I don't see any sponsored ads on the right side but if I close the tab then reopen facebook, it appears.

I'm using the latest dev build version. I hope for some improvement of it since I still see some ads (some with blank pic or with that cancel icon) and the pop-up ads are annoying. I know that IE add-ons capability sucks bad but I hope that it would improve in IE 12. I want to use IE as my main browser since it syncs with my WP device.
Syntax

Re: Question for ABP IE

Post by Syntax »

Oh. The facebook sponsored ads randomly appears and disappear then reappears at the right side. Hope for blockage of sponsored ads within the stories and Twitter.
mapx

Post by mapx »

you could file an issue on the bug tracker:
https://issues.adblockplus.org
GJL

Post by GJL »

@ Syntax,
That sounds very much like the same bug many of us saw with ver: 1.1.
I'd try the same solution, remove all add-ons, re-install ABP & see if it then works as it should.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Yeah I disabled some except Flash Player. For the meantime, it worked.

Regarding pop-up ads. Is there a limitation of ABP in IE? 'cause it doesn't block it.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Hmmm. Sometimes it's like not working for some reason. I need to disable the addon, close IE, enable the ABP addon then it would work. Kinda getting depressed.
GJL

Post by GJL »

Yeah, that's the exact behaviour I experienced with ver: 1.1 when it was bugged for me.
The good news is, it can be un-bugged.

Un-install all add-ons (un-install, not disable).
Reboot.
Install ABP & test functionality.

That was all I needed to get ABP working properly.
I then re-installed some of the add-ons I had removed, testing ABP after each install till I found the add-on causing the bug.

Once I had identified the problem add-on I had to repeat the whole process to get ABP working again.
I dumped the bugging add-on (don't miss it) & ABP has worked properly since then. I very, very rarely see any ads or pop ups & when I do they are usually soon corrected with an auto pattern file update.

Good Luck.
mapx

Post by mapx »

@GJL, I added your comment in the ticket
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/693
GJL

Post by GJL »

mapx wrote:@GJL, I added your comment in the ticket
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/693
All good :)

I suspect the problem lies more with IE than with ABP...
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Sorry for being clueless but how do I uninstall the addons? I can only disable them.
GJL

Post by GJL »

Go to Control Panel
Click Programs & Features

Most will be easy to see, just select & choose un-install.
Some may be listed under their parent programs. In that case there will usually be a check-box to select the add-on component once the un-install is started.