Yeah, that's the exact behaviour I experienced with ver: 1.1 when it was bugged for me.
The good news is, it can be un-bugged.
Un-install all add-ons (un-install, not disable).
Install ABP & test functionality.
That was all I needed to get ABP working properly.
I then re-installed some of the add-ons I had removed, testing ABP after each install till I found the add-on causing the bug.
Once I had identified the problem add-on I had to repeat the whole process to get ABP working again.
I dumped the bugging add-on (don't miss it) & ABP has worked properly since then. I very, very rarely see any ads or pop ups & when I do they are usually soon corrected with an auto pattern file update.