Data usage for ABP on Android

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
mapx

Re: Data usage for ABP on Android

Post by mapx »

ok, could you test the last dev build ?

then, if still happens, file an issue on the bug tracker (with all your details)
https://issues.adblockplus.org
angelicapotts2

Post by angelicapotts2 »

edifice wrote:I see what you are saying. However, by that logic the app that generates the traffic shldnt show up in the data usage screen. For example, if youtube has used 500 mb of data in a time period, that data should be reported only under ABP and not YouTube since traffic is being routed via ABP. However, YouTube does show a decent amount of data usage. As does Spotify, and other apps. Even if the phone is reporting data used both under ABP and the app, the numbers do not add up.

Also, ABP is being reported as having used 12gb of data now (it was a little over 7 two days ago). I doubt I've legimately used 4-5 gigs of data in 2 days. I haven't streamed video at all, just browsing, email, texts, and spotify at normal quality.
This is almost exactly what happens to me.

Can't believe bug has not been fixed
edifice

Post by edifice »

Just installed the latest build. Data usage of ABP per phone was at 12.23 GB before installation. Will keep an eyeon this over the next few days. Cheers. (Also, just wanna say I appreciate the effort that goes into maintaining the app, I've been using ABP since forever on my PC and love it. Thanks a bunch to the devs. Hopefully, if this data thing is truly a bug, it will be fixed soon).
Varda Elbereth

Post by Varda Elbereth »

So it's now the fourth of august and I've already used the entirity of the 1gb limit on my T-mobile plan.

Interestingly I got a text this morning saying I had used 800mb yesterday . I confirmed this via the data usage panel. It should be said I didn't use my phone the previous days except to look up a movie on IMDb. Literally the entirity of the remainder of the time it was plugged in next to my bed.

Then I drove to work and by the time I got there I got a text message saying I had used my 1gb this month. I confirmed via the data usage that I had used 1.04gb - about 204mb in the twenty minute drive to work. Adblock was the bulk of the traffic, the other programs only adding up to about 40mb over the last say and a half.
Last edited by Varda Elbereth on Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mapx

Post by mapx »

again ... report your issue on the bug tracker to get the devs attention
https://issues.adblockplus.org/

Post by Guest »

mapx wrote:again ... report your issue on the bug tracker to get the devs attention
https://issues.adblockplus.org/

Surely this should already have devs attention. ...

It's ridiculous that this hasn't been fixed yet
NZUser

Post by NZUser »

I installed Adblock Plus several weeks ago. I am on a prepay plan in New Zealand with 2 Degrees; I pay $20 for a bundle of texts, 1GB data etc. Anyway, after installing ABP I noticed I was going through my data much quicker than usual.

I check my data usage, and ABP accounted for most of it. I had typical data usage histories for Chrome and Youtube etc. At first glance, it seemed like ABP was using all my data, but I reconsidered this after reading in the FAQ: "To filter ads, all traffic has to pass through Adblock Plus. Android considers this to be the traffic caused by the app, while it is in reality the sum of all traffic."

However, when I cross-referenced my data usage with my itemised usage details from my provider, I confirmed that the ABP data was being counted as billable data. Adblock Plus was sucking my data plan dry.

I have since uninstalled ABP and installed Adaway, and everything is back to normal.

ABP cost me about $30 worth of data before I realised what was going on. Thankfully I'm not on a contract where I'd have to pay a bill at the end of the month, or I may never have realised until I got a whopping charge for data usage.

I appreciate that apps like ABP exist, but this is literally the worst bug I've ever seen in an Android app.
yadayada

Post by yadayada »

Finally, abp staff admit that there 'might' be an issue here instead of just telling people that the bug has been fixed.
However, i think it is scandalous to still be offering the downooad with the knowledge of the immense data usage and without any warning. I think you should take down the app until the bug is fixed, or at least post a big warning before the download. Just in this thread there are about 10 people who had to pay more or were not able to use their normal data because of this..
angelicapotts2

Post by angelicapotts2 »

yadayada wrote:Finally, abp staff admit that there 'might' be an issue here instead of just telling people that the bug has been fixed.
However, i think it is scandalous to still be offering the downooad with the knowledge of the immense data usage and without any warning. I think you should take down the app until the bug is fixed, or at least post a big warning before the download. Just in this thread there are about 10 people who had to pay more or were not able to use their normal data because of this..
Where do they admit?

Has this been fixed yet?
archaven

Post by archaven »

I just notice the ridiculous data usage by ABP which is even higher than the browser. I have now uninstall this app and it seems scandalous to me. I thought it was a great app and thought of donating sometime in future. But not anymore now.
mia

Post by mia »

problem still exist to this day. adblock plus eating more than half of my data usage. even the latest dev version isn't fixing this.

does anyone know a good alternative? adaway and adfree works ok, but they don't even block all the ads in the web browsers
androdead

Post by androdead »

Hi,
It worked nice for 2 month, and then Adbplus just fucked my data..
I know the facts and all, but going on google 4 times by day and just checking my mail isn't enough of getting 300mo on just a day..

Please at least, inform with some popup or IDK that there are issues with data ... Big issues !!
randomuser111

Post by randomuser111 »

I've had problems with ABP for Android consuming lots of bandwidth.

I have a Galaxy S4, and my data plan gives me 3 GB of monthly bandwidth, and I never, ever reach the limit. I use around 1.5 to 2 gb monthly on average. I installed ABP a little over a month ago, and my billing cycle starts at the middle of each month. So come December 8 I get a text message from my cell carrier informing me I had used up all my bandwidth. I thought I probably went overboard watching youtube, and bought an extra 500 mb package to last me till the next billing cycle started, which was around a week away, this time being mindful not to use too much bandwidth when not using wi fi. The day before my billing cycle renewed itself I get another text msg from my carrier, informing me I had used up my 500 mb!

This screenshot correponds to that last week where I bought 500 mb and they ran out too. Notice how in this screenshot android reports almost exactly 500 mb used, including APB
https://i.imgur.com/b5NuCtR.png

Here's the rest of the usage for those 500 mb. APB usage doesn't seem to be the addition of any two or more items.
https://i.imgur.com/xqtvEet.png

This is my usage for the entire month (almost). 3gb + 500 mb
https://i.imgur.com/fIsDDKb.png

My S4 configuration:
https://i.imgur.com/uLIHJwl.png

I was using version 1.2.1 of APB and using it with the root method, but had to uninstall it due to the high data bandwidth usage
Omerc10696

Post by Omerc10696 »

Seriously?! Wtf 1.5gb used up today and 500mb yesterday, and my data just reset yesterday! 2 gb used in a little over a day...
lektanminhol

Post by lektanminhol »

31 may 2015 and still the same bug.
I got a mail from my provider today telling me that all my data was used and they are going to bill me extra. Never happened before.
My data usage tells me that add block used 850Mb in 2 weeks time. Suprise suprise I installed ADB two weeks ago.

I start searching the internet and came across this thread.
The arrogance of some people reactions on the first posters makes me really angry. "you should read the FAQ first, this is not real data usage, the wan't bill you extra!!!"
And 3 years later the problem still exists.

SHAME ON YOU!!

BYE BYE ADB