[malware] App of the Day (don't install !)

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome

[malware] App of the Day (don't install !)

Post by Guest »

App of the Day is a feature of Pet Match and uses visual search technology to find you relevant and related content from thousands of sites across the web. Just click on or hover over the orange InSite icon to open this window and discover related content. To disable this feature, click here. If you wish to share any feedback on this feature, contact us at feedback@similarproducts.net App of the Day
As of about an hour ago I'm seeing this spam EVERYWHERE. When I disable Adblock Plus, it goes away. What's going on here?
sleither

Re: Adblock Plus Extension Spam?

Post by sleither »

I just started getting these ads as well. Disabling the chrome extension makes them disappear.
itsyaboyAG

Post by itsyaboyAG »

This spam is really annoying, please fix. Its everywhere, and is defeating the purpose of AdBlock, also still getting ads on google, how?
erkme73

Post by erkme73 »

Folks, it's not ABP. ABP is blocking a rogue extension from communicating with superfish.com - and you're seeing the text alternative.

Try this... Go here: http://www.speedtest.../3636793458.png

This is a benign image of a speed test. If you have the superfish code, you'll see its text just beneath the image (make sure ABP is on).

Leave that page up. Then bring up another page with your extensions (chrome://extensions). Turn off ALL of them EXCEPT ABP. Then refresh the image page above. If the text is gone, start turning on one extension at a time - refreshing the image link between each activation. When you get to the culprit, the text will reappear beneath the image. Then just leave that extension off (or remove it).

Seems like a lot of Chrome extension developers are "selling out" to ad companies. I'm reading they're paying 6-figures PER MONTH to buy rights to add their code to existing extensions. Since Google has cracked down on getting new extensions approved, they've resorted to corrupting existing ones.

If you find which extension is the evil-doer, please post it here.
chef

Post by chef »

For me it was the Chrome App "Incognito This"
erkme73

Post by erkme73 »

And mine was Service Pages for Google Chrome (5.0.4). It had been a very powerful, useful, and convenient extension until the dev sold out. It's been pulled from the extension store.
Mr. Guest

Post by Mr. Guest »

Thanks for the help, this started happening just like an hour ago or so and it's happened to a lot of people too, apparently, and it's a new issue.
It was "Awesome New Tab Page" for me. Shame, it was a great extension...

Found this from 7 months ago. Looks like this had always been happening, the superfish messages started appearing just now. http://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments ... rfish_ads/
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

I also posted this in the standalone solution thread, but here's a working link to that Speedtest image: http://www.speedtest.net/result/3636793458.png
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Found it!

Post by Found it! »

Mine is World Clocks 5.0
Got it!

Post by Got it! »

it is Scroll to top button 6.3.1
Found it!

Post by Found it! »

My corrupted Google Extension is "Video download helper v1.1.6.0".
THD

Post by THD »

Mine was "Awesome New Tab Page"
rainbowie

Post by rainbowie »

it was lyrics for google chrome for me
Dubby

Post by Dubby »

Awesome New Tab Page was my culprit! Thanks so much for the help!

Here's a link to the extension, AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... djjnpjnmcg
ShadeStalker

Post by ShadeStalker »

Same happened here. This time it was "RSS Livelinks". Annoying, it was a very useful extension.