removing ad frames

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Bethrezen

removing ad frames

Post by Bethrezen »

hi all

ok question after blocking ads i often find that the frames and the like that the ads where in are still present and thus make for some very ugly results

http://gofish.about.com/detail.html?gfid=14-2631

is a good example at the top of the page is displayed a double click ad which i have blocked but if also like to remove the frame that the add was in

now i am aware that i could use a single purpose web server to serve a replacement image but i'd rather not i'd rather just block the frame as well

bare in mind i'm using a pacfile and not adblock plus because a pacfile is compatible with all browsers
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Why not just block the doubleclick frames there with:

Code: Select all

http://ad.doubleclick.net/adi/abt.gofish/
If you block the iframes, you won't have to block the ads in them :wink:
Bethrezen

Post by Bethrezen »

hi

unfortunately

|| shExpMatch(url, "http://ad.doubleclick.net/adi/abt.gofish/")

isn't working

now if i add the filter

|| shExpMatch(url, "*about.com*js*")

that works and the nasty javascript genrated error box that is left behind by the blocked ad vanishes but the problem with this filter is that its to general and it disables all javascript for about.com

I'd like to be a little more selective and only block the nasty javascript genrated error boxs that are left behind by the blocking of the double click ads
Bethrezen

Post by Bethrezen »

hi all

ok after examining the source code for the page in question i have determined what bit of java script it is that is responsible for generating the horrible error boxes when i block the ads from double click

here is the code responsible

Code: Select all

<script type="text/javascript">
function zow(f,u,n,s){var o=window.open(u,n,s)
if(window.focus){if(f&1)o.focus();if(f&2)window.focus()}
return o}
uy='about.com';
zSm=zSu='';
xd=0;zap="";zAth='';zTt='';zir=''
ch='entertainment';gs='gofish';xg="";zcs=''
zFDT='0'
zFST='0'
zOr='73S8040F20SA0k2F';t9=1;zp0=zp1=zp2=zp3=0
zhc=zpb=zgs=zdn='';zFS='';zdn='abt.gofish';zDn=''
zis=1;zpid=zi=zRf=ztp=zpo=0;zdx=20;zfx=100;zJs=12
zi=1;zz=';46860=2-1-12-1;246860=2-1-12-1;72890=...
zGAT=1;zBTS=0;
zGo=0;zG=0
zBT=0;zTbO=0
</script>
so my question how would i create a filter in my pacfile to block this code so that the horrible error boxes wont be displayed ??
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

No, this code doesn't display anything, it only sets some variables. There is some external script loading after that - it displays the ad then.
Bethrezen

Post by Bethrezen »

No, this code doesn't display anything, it only sets some variables. There is some external script loading after that - it displays the ad then.
oh ??? odd coz when i save the page to my desk top and then removed the script above and then reload the page the horrible script generated error boxes vanished this is why i though that was the code responsible but you are telling me that's not the case ???

humm i wonder how can i make horrible script generated error boxes go away with out completely disabling javascript then ??

coz i can block the ad from loading by adding double click to the filter list but as i've mentioned that leaves behind the horrible script generated error box which thus far i have only been able to make go away by turning java script off or by blocking all java script
Bethrezen

Post by Bethrezen »

hi

Ok I've had another look at the source code and think i found the real culprit for the horrible error boxes i seek to squash

http://z.about.com/0/js/cj017x14t306.js

when i add that to my block list and reload the page the error boxes go away :)

now its off to a few other sites to remove the horrible script generated error boxes there to

now that leave me with how to remove error boxes caused by frames ???? humm i wonder ???