Excessive memory usage

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: Excessive memory usage

Post by greiner »

Tony Thomas wrote:I recently installed Adblock plus with Firefox and found it very effective. Today, my fan is roaring with the high resource use - I have i7 3rd gen and 12Gb RAM. I will have to uninstall Adblock if this continues.
If your fan is roaring it means that your computer is doing some heavy processing and not that it uses up a lot of memory. You can check out how much memory an application is using by opening the task manager.
pseudoid

Post by pseudoid »

Unfortunately, I am also seeing some odd behavior with my PC when I enable ABP.
The major issue being that my CooloerMaster CMStorm keyboard becomes unresponsive, even though this keyboard's polling is very high.
I started noticing some lag with my keyboard a few weeks ago, and then upon reading the ABP gossip, I disabled it from my Firefox and the problem went awayl
Just today, I re-enabled the ABP and the keyboard became slightly sluggish again.
Maybe 4GB or fast RAM in a Win8 machine is just not enough these days.
Anon12000

Post by Anon12000 »

If it wasn't of MemoryFox, AdBlock Plus would make firefox.exe take 1.5GB of RAM. Yes, I have a lot of extensions but I suspect ABP to increase RAM usage exponentially. Probably ranging from 4 to 6 times. It's insane. You want to know HOW MUCH it takes RAM? On Windows, open the Task Manager and spot Firefox.exe with ABP installed. Then, visit this page. Watch the RAM usage EXPLODE.

I have 6GB of RAM installed in my machine and Firefox likes to take 1/3 of it...
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Anon12000 wrote:visit this page. Watch the RAM usage EXPLODE.
Filed https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/759
FixmyPCStore

Post by FixmyPCStore »

We've encountered this issue before and often a good clean on subscriptions helps. If you need to operate under that many subscriptions I would look into upgrading your computer. Other options all seem to sacrifice efficiency and unless you have to do that, I would suggest cleaning or upgrading.
startas

Post by startas »

Gingerbread Man wrote:
Anon12000 wrote:visit this page. Watch the RAM usage EXPLODE.
Filed https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/759
Its not only firefox problem - memory usage with chrome and adblock plus is disaster, too. Chrome has huge memory leaks with versions >34, so using those new versions with adblock plus, that site just explodes - it doesnt even fit into my 4 gb ram, so chrome crashes ... so for now using chrome 34 and adblock - no plus, it works better for now, till plus will fix its memory problems, because i have been using same list of blocks for years, and memory usage has grown way too much, so now this site loads - it uses 1,4 gb ram, but still loads.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

startas wrote:Its not only firefox problem
That was noted in comments 2 and 4 in the above issue report. Watch ticket 145 (RSS feed) and its dependencies for any progress.

The page in the example contains 390 iframe elements. That's extremely unusual and almost certainly unique to that site.
jgf

Post by jgf »

Not memory but CPU usage by the new ABP is my issue. Since the recent ABP upgrade Facebook is unusable, CPU usage runs around 50% with ABP enabled and the site response is abysmal; switch to any other tab (email, forum, etc.) and CPU usage is 2%-5% ...even online games rarely use more than 25%.
mapx

Post by mapx »

You could try clearing cache + cookies or reset firefox (and reinstalling ABP - test keeping only ABP, then install the other addons)
jgf

Post by jgf »

I clear the cache (limited to 20meg) every fifteen minutes or so while online. I am loathe to clear cookies because that means two weeks of having to log back in everywhere (I'm currently seeking a replacement for yahoo mail since they have no concept of "keep me logged in"); I will on occasion delete specific cookies.

My issue is definitely between the most recent ABP update and Facebook. Anywhere else I've been online, so far, works as usual; but on Farcebook everything is ridiculously slow - normally I can scroll up and down my home page easily, now i move the scroll wheel and nothing happens for several seconds, then the page will scroll slightly, pause, stutter up or down, scroll perhaps half a screen, pause and stutter more. I disable ABP and Farcebook works normally again.