Google Ads

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
Aractus

Google Ads

Post by Aractus »

I took the time to read the acceptable ads policy.

Please tell me how this is non-intrusive (resized to 75%, click image for full size):

13 ads! And that's being generous as I didn't count the 4 text-link ads beneath "Microsoft Store has 268 followers on Google+".

Here's the same page with the ads blocked: LINK (liked so not to spam images). Google provided 9 (not 10) results to the search on page 1. In my view this does not meet the criteria set out in the "acceptable ads" criteria/policy. Google already has a complete monopoly on web-browsers, do they really need all their ads displayed by default in ABP?

Now, while I'm at it I'd like to suggest that DuckDuckGo's ads do meet the non-intrusive criteria:

And that there's a clear option to disable ads on DDG anyway.
namename

Re: Google Ads

Post by namename »

I just posted the same thing before seeing this, here are my thoughts on the subject from another thread:
I was reading over the acceptable ads policy, and the following bullet really concerns me, emphasis added:
When ads are placed above the content of a main page, they should not require the user to scroll down. The available vertical space is likely to be at least 700 pixels. Advertising should not occupy more than one-third of that height. Paid search results on search pages are allowed to occupy more space, but they should never outnumber organic results.

It is quite obvious that the exception is aimed at google, who frequently has ads at the top of the pages which are very much obtrusive by sometimes being all that is visible above the fold, especially on smaller monitors. I'm not comfortable there being a rule to appease a single company, even it that company pays Adblock Plus's bills.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks for your critique. We're constantly trying to improve our criteria and will honor your input in that process.
mapx

Post by mapx »

sure, if you unselect "allow some non intrusive advertising" the google ads will be blocked / hidden