Remove Adblock Plus: Block frame... from context menu

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
majest

Remove Adblock Plus: Block frame... from context menu

Post by majest »

Is there a way to remove the menu integration with Adblock Plus in Firefox? When you right click on something, there is an item "Adblock Plus: Block frame..." that I would like to remove.
Gingerbread Man

Re: Remove Adblock Plus: Block frame... from context menu

Post by Gingerbread Man »

majest wrote:When you right click on something
When you right-click on a frame.

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

menuitem[label="Adblock Plus: Block frame…"] { display: none !important }
Use the above either as a new style in the Stylish add-on, or in the userChrome.css file. In the latter, the first line must only appear once at the top of the file.
majest

Post by majest »

Hey Ginger - thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately that code doesn't appear to work. I am familiar with userChrome.css and making changes to it (Help -> TroubleShooting Information -> Profile Directory -> chrome folder -> userChrome.css), so I wonder if there is a type or something? I tried putting a # at the front end and a ; at the end but nothing worked. The context menu still has Adblock present.
majest

Post by majest »

Interestingly, I found some code that works on a different site by a user called Gingerbread Man...

menuitem[label="Adblock Plus: Block image…"] { display: none !important; }

Heh heh, must be a copy-paste error at my end ;)

Now a new problem: the text has gone (cool - thanks) but the separator remains at the bottom of the context menu. How to kill it??
Gingerbread Man

The code works fine. To test, go to this W3schools page and right-click the words "My first JavaScript" on the right. You should see no "Adblock Plus: block frame…" item in the context menu. I don't know what you're doing wrong; maybe you forgot to restart Firefox after editing userChrome.css.

I don't know why you'd bring up the code to hide the menu item for blocking images, when you've started this thread about the menu item for blocking frames. If you want to remove both, this would do the trick (don't use either of the above, since they'd be redundant):

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

menuitem[label^="Adblock Plus"] { display: none !important }
GeoNOregon

Post by GeoNOregon »

(@ Majest: This post will answer your question about the Context Menu orphan separator left after removing the AdBlock command. See blue text below.)

I joined this forum because the AdBlock referred me here for technical support/bug report.

I, too, have an AdBlock command in my main context menu in Ffox I would like to remove.

I have used Menu Editor v 1.2.7, (a Firefox add-on), for many years as it is stable and works well for organizing and removing Context Menu, (and other menu), commands, @Majest: Menu Editor will remove separators). Typically, I would open the options for Menu Ed, uncheck the AdBlock command and it would disappear from the Context Menu. The problem is, the AdBlock command does not show up in Menu Editor.

I have been using Ffox since v.1, but have barely scratched the surface as far as the back end and inner workings are concerned. I don't know how to report coding issues in add-ons. Or where to go about looking for the info.

It seems to me the reason the AdBlock command doesn't show up in Menu Editor when the commands from the other add-ons I have installed do show up is due to non-standard coding, or a 'show' command forcing the command into the Context Menu. I have run across programmers/developers before who feel they get an advantage by slipping in coding that forces commands for their apps into menus, etc; Peter Norton is/was the world's worst offender in this area.

If it is not intentional, then it is most likely a coding style/technique used by AdBlock's developer.

Whichever it is, it should be rectified; what is the use in having Firefox be a highly personalizable/customizable browser if some developers use techniques to thwart customization.

I will try the code(s) shown above to see if they solve the problem in the short-term, but what is the process for bringing this issue to the AdBlock's and Mozilla's attention?

Mozilla must have a committee that oversees the add-ons and gives the the 'Mozilla seal of approval' before the add-on's are allowed on the site, don't they?

Thanks, in advance, for any info.

GeoD
GeoNOregon

Post by GeoNOregon »

Addendum:

I tried to use the code given above, but it seems Ffox no longer creates a Chrome folder by default and Windows 7 does so much of the confusing crap with mirrored folders, etc, that I can't even figure out WHERE to put a Chrome folder.

So, there it is... it's not worth the potential of messing up Ffox just to get rid of a context menu command. This is a good example of why developers should stick to standards.

GeoD
Gingerbread Man

GeoNOregon wrote:The problem is, the AdBlock command does not show up in Menu Editor.
Adblock Plus is a restartless add-on. Menu Editor doesn't support menus inserted by such add-ons. It was last updated March 8th 2011, so I think it's safe to say it's been abandoned. You can try Menu Wizard instead and see if that one works any better.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/s3menu-wizard/
GeoNOregon wrote:Mozilla must have a committee that oversees the add-ons and gives the the 'Mozilla seal of approval' before the add-on's are allowed on the site, don't they?
Being utterly flawless is not a reasonable standard for any piece of software, and certainly not a requirement for downloads on the Firefox Add-ons site.
GeoNOregon wrote:I can't even figure out WHERE to put a Chrome folder.
Either use the Stylish add-on like I suggested, or click the "userChrome.css" link and read the knowledgebase article for directions.
:arrow: forum/viewtopic.php?p=109561#p109561