After installing FF 33.1, cannot find Adblock icon

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Hönö

After installing FF 33.1, cannot find Adblock icon

Post by Hönö »

After I updated FF to version 33.1, the icon disappeared, and when I open the list of extensions, and click the Adblock Plus settings button, I cannot see any settings anymore. All I can do is to disable or remove. Ads seem to be blocked still, though.
mapx

Re: After insatlling FF 33.1, cannot finf Adbloc icon

Post by mapx »

you could reset firefox and reinstall ABP, see if the icon / settings are ok, after that reinstall all other addons
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... t-problems
Hönö

Post by Hönö »

Doing a reset, it seems, I might lose the custom toolbar I have and that is important to me. (Although the latest FF versions in principle do not support custom toolbars anymore, the toolbar I had before the crucial update was not demolished in the update, and I would very much like to keep it. So I hope I could find a better way around the problem as long as I have no other reason to do a rest. Ever.)

Does Adblock Plus have a problem with custom toolbars?
mapx

Post by mapx »

Could be that custom bar is in conflict with the default firefox settings and for that the icon does not appear anymore, but I can't be sure
prr

Post by prr »

Hönö wrote:After I updated FF to version 33.1, the icon disappeared, and when I open the list of extensions, and click the Adblock Plus settings button, I cannot see any settings anymore. All I can do is to disable or remove. Ads seem to be blocked still, though.
Have you updated to ABP 2.6.6? For whatever reason, my FF had not updated this addon, so I did it manually. I was not seeing the ABP icon either, but after updating, I see it in my menu where it always has been.
FWIW I'm running FF 34 beta.
pelago

Post by pelago »

I have the same problem as the OP, with no Adblock Plus icon, and no Adblock Plus settings available in Tools, Add-ons, since upgrading to FF 33.1 in Windows 7.

If I look in Tools, Add-ons, I see that I have Adblock Plus 2.6.5 installed. If I right-click on it and choose Find Updates, it says "There was an error installing Adblock Plus". I guess I could install it manually, but any ideas why this method of updating it isn't working?
mapx

Post by mapx »

reset FF and reinstall ABP

Post by Guest »

pelago wrote:I have the same problem as the OP, with no Adblock Plus icon, and no Adblock Plus settings available in Tools, Add-ons, since upgrading to FF 33.1 in Windows 7.

If I look in Tools, Add-ons, I see that I have Adblock Plus 2.6.5 installed. If I right-click on it and choose Find Updates, it says "There was an error installing Adblock Plus". I guess I could install it manually, but any ideas why this method of updating it isn't working?
If you try to install it manually, well, I got "AdBlock Plus cannot be installed because Firefox cannot open a needed file" or something along that line. It doesn't specify what file that is.

I've done a reset in the past, and it really messes up the setup I have, so I don't want to do that, either.
pelago

Post by pelago »

pelago wrote:I have the same problem as the OP, with no Adblock Plus icon, and no Adblock Plus settings available in Tools, Add-ons, since upgrading to FF 33.1 in Windows 7.

I don't know why this has happened, but today my Adblock icon has reappeared in FF 33.1 on Windows 7. Also, if I click Find Updates on its entry in Tools, Add-ons, it successfully updates to 2.6.6. I didn't reset Firefox, but I did quit it and logoff of my PC (not shut it down) last night, so maybe that's what made it start working again for me.
Chakolate

Re: After installing FF 33.1, cannot find Adblock icon

Post by Chakolate »

I had the same problem, and didn't want to completely reset. So I disabled all the addons with Safe Start, downloaded AdBlock 2.6.6, which installed fine, then re-enabled all the addons. Problem fixed.

Hope this helps.
Dreamy

Post by Dreamy »

I've reset my Firefox 34.0 version but still unable to install ABP. This message still came up before/after reset "The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure on adblockplus.org"
Dreamy

Post by Dreamy »

After I posted the above message, suddenly my I managed to install ABP after all, yippee!! :lol:
Goodwill

Post by Goodwill »

I think I've found the solution : after installing Avast 2015, open Avast user's interface and click on browser cleaning. Once the cleaning is done (actually there's nothing to clean since most addons have already been removed), click on the Mozilla Firefox button on the left and check the option "exclude addons which have a good reputation".
truka

Post by truka »

I encountered the same problem. I am using Avast 2015. I disabled the shields for 10 mins, retried installing Adblock Plus and it worked first time.
padjo

Post by padjo »

This worked for me...
In Firefox select Tools=>Add-ons.
In the Add-ons Manager select Get Add-ons.
Type Addblock Plus into the search box and install the addon from there.