Legality Issue With ANY Adblocker

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
theweatherspaceads

Legality Issue With ANY Adblocker

Post by theweatherspaceads »

I am a website owner and I display ads and of course this is my solid right to do so as it is my house.

Your adblocker is not legal. Your defense with Tivo or anything skipping TV commercials does not work on the internet. Those devices are not REAL-TIME events. Being my website serves real-time events no one can just skip through it. If I watched live TV i cannot skip commercials.

Anyone visiting my website cannot just think they can legally skip my ads. This is where you will run into legal battles and I can assure you that you need to change this now.

You have choices here before it becomes so bad that a legal battle ensues.

1. Do NOT block all ads when the person installs the addon, I don't care what type of ads they run. The user should see the ads and if THEY want to block them them so be it.
2. Since your legality issue is REALTIME here you need to set the addon to show a page before the website saying "Since you have an adblocker you need to wait 120 seconds to view this content. Than the content can be loaded and displayed without ads.

You need to understand that blocking ads is NOT legal and NOT the same as just skipping commercials on a show you RECORDED and that sites out there like mine are REALTIME INFORMATION and we must serve our ads to make our money, simple as that.

Lastly, you accepting money for donations based off this product when others are losing out might very well be illegal since you are taking from the content creators' pockets. Impressions matter, we do not care who clicks the ads, but impressions MATTER.

Adblock Plus and all other adblockers cannot hide behind the Tivo defense any longer, I assure you this. Both the two options I said to do together is the only way you can legally do it. I rather people with an adblocker wait 120 seconds to view my content without ads then to serve it to freeloaders in realtime.

I want those changes looked into and made ... Your legal issues here are on the rise based off that ... you cannot stand behind the Tivo defense with what I just stated. I don't care if it's "their computer" it is MY SITE and if I want to serve ads for my information then that is my right or they can leave. You don't just mess with someone's house and not expect to be kicked out or bitten back.

Figure this out, because I'm closing in on a legality issue with you about this as a website owner who's lost a lot of revenue because of your illegal addon.

Re: Legality Issue With ANY Adblocker

Post by Guest »

I'm not going to risk my hardware and privacy so you can peddle a bunch of ads I don't care about. If your website's sole existence depends on how well you can push ads onto your users, then I doubt it has much value and the internet would probably be better off without it.

People who don't want to be advertised to on the internet will always have options and methods to block ads. Not all users are profitable consumers. Either throw up a paywall or deal with the fact that some users are "freeloaders".

Asking ABP to intentionally cripple itself won't do you any good. People would just move on to another ad blocker. And another. And another.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Prepare to get laughed out of court, also good luck trying to ban custom HOSTS files, PAC files, firewall settings, etc., because they too can be used to block connections to the vast majority of ad servers.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
theweatherspaceads

Guest wrote:People who don't want to be advertised to on the internet will always have options and methods to block ads. Not all users are profitable consumers. Either throw up a paywall or deal with the fact that some users are "freeloaders".
Our team is already making a program to give the user a virus if they enter with an adblocker. Our site, our rules ...

But the war between content creators and ABP will not just fade away. APB knows what they are doing is not legal ESPECIALLY taking donations from it or making ANY KIND OF MONEY from it, money that could be the content creator's money ... is stealing. That is where I will slam them with a lawsuit about.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

theweatherspaceads wrote:Our team is already making a program to give the user a virus if they enter with an adblocker. Our site, our rules ...
then your site will get blocked by every safe-browsing filter out there
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
mapx

Post by mapx »

theweatherspaceads wrote: Our team is already making a program to give the user a virus if they enter with an adblocker. Our site, our rules ...
Cut the crap and better see the acceptable ads: en/acceptable-ads
treos

Post by treos »

theweatherspaceads wrote:Our team is already making a program to give the user a virus if they enter with an adblocker. Our site, our rules ... .
i was already laughing at the first post but this? dude... all that's going to do is give people a real reason to stear clear of your website.

if someone choosing to block ads is illegal then guess what, you're choosing to force ads on said people should be just as illegal. but yeah, sure, go ahead and kill your visitor count with a virus.

this is a rather ridiculous argument tbh. especially since, if i'm not mistaken, with that first post your basically saying its illegal for people to want and try to have a better, safer browsing experience while using the internet.
theweatherspaceads

Did you know it's not legal to automatically block ads on the sites the minute you install your plugin?

Going to need you to change that to not block sites when installed and ONLY if the user hits the top right section saying to. Also any site blocked must have a timer to view the material, about 60 seconds and then the site comes up. We webmasters who run realtime websites can and will take legal action on you if this is not changed.

This isn't the same as Tivo ... running realtime products cannot be disrupted on Tivo so your argument on that is invalid. This is how you will be sued for loss profit from any company including mine.
treos

Post by treos »

*facepalm* i was reading the wrong post there. oops

still though, is this realtime stuff like streaming videos or tv shows? cause those timers can be bypassed (true they're a harmless waste of peoples time, not any real punishment for blocking ads though, but whatever).

"This is how you will be sued for loss profit from any company including mine." is that that "adblockers are stealing my money" type of argument? cause i don't think it works.

you're best solution here would likely be that acceptable ads thing. not moaning, whining,..threatening viruses (seriously, if a site did that to me, i'd report on the forums of whichever antivirus i happen to be using and let them deal with it then avoid your site until the virus is gone or can be blocked), since thats not going to do you any good at all.

my computer (laptop till next year :/ ), my choice if I want to block ads or not. pretty sure that isn't a choice your nor anyone else has a right to make for me.

adblockers, saving the internet from garbage ads and the shady as all heck crapware that hides within them.

sorry, i don't want spyware stealing information on me so other people can sell said info for money. sorry, i don't want malware as i like to keep my computer safe, something you simply don't give a shit about. sorry, i like having a pleasant, non-annoying browsing experience, you just want me to feed your greed and suffer while doing so.

in an ideal world that might be possible but we don't live in an ideal world and probably never will. so sad :(

edit: the weather space...google...ok, i'm just going to ignore this thread from now on (wasting my time as is anyway).
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

OP, if you're so sure adblockers are illegal, try backing up your words with legal action: I'm sure a consortium of malvertisers and popup-peddlers could gather their funds together to mount a legal challenge against Eyeo GmbH (Adblock Plus), Betafish Inc. (AdBlock), Chris Aljoudi and Alex Vallat (new developers of uBlock), Murray Hurps (Ad Muncher), and the people behind Adguard, Privoxy, and Weblock, all of which are programs (whether standalone or as browser extensions) designed for the primary purpose of blocking ads; I'm also sure that they'd get laughed out of court and their efforts will have been for naught.
treos

Post by treos »

just wanted to point out something (assuming this "theweatherspaceads" account is related in some way).

when i googled that the other day it revealed that the weather space was a weather hoaxing site basically and that this kind of threats and whatnot isn't all that uncommon from them. that's all i had to add, farewell again, odd and pointless threat thread.
Vegan

Post by Vegan »

every user here meets the requirement under law for intent to defraud, which carries an automatic escalation to indictment

the distributors of such software are liable for treble losses in addition to criminal sanction
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

look, another idiot making baseless legal threats^

BTW I too looked up "theweatherspace" and found that his site is indeed trying to serve up malvertising to people who browse it while running an ad-blocker, and also that the owner of the site is a nutjob: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Kevin_Martin

Anyway, I recommend blocking dntrax.com and www-cm.com and also trackgold.net (which dntrax redirected me to the second time I browsed, but that site was already blocked in my setup), and I'll soon look up the IP addresses for people to add to PeerBlock or whatever other IP-blocking solution they use; the main baddie appears to be dntrax.com though:

Code: Select all

||dntrax.com^
||www-cm.com^
||trackgold.net^
||trackvoluum.com^
Now for the IP addresses...

dntrax.com:

pc1.dntrax.com:

www-cm.com and support.www-cm.com:

trackgold.net:

go.trackgold.net and nfbal.trackvoluum.com:

trackvoluum.com has no IP address of its own BTW, and I can keep updating this post with more of the bad sites this huckster is sending adblocking users to.
treos

Post by treos »

ugh, ty for that link (sarcasm). i only just read the top part of that page and already want to facepalm badly. "Martin does not have any formal education or qualifications in meteorology but insists he was born with "gifts" that allow him to to forecast the weather"." that sounds like something a child might make a claim of...or a nutjob.

well, after reading through all that crap, this guy is just pathetic.
SmexySumo

Post by SmexySumo »

On one hand, Adblocker blocks ads which makes website owners earn less and on the other hand, it asks for donations. Hypocricates :evil:
These are my websites .... and if people use ad blocker, they don't see ads on my website and it affects my earnings. Atleast, Adblocker should not block Google Adsense ads, but spammy ads which have dirty images :)