Legality Issue With ANY Adblocker

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
mapx

Re: Legality Issue With ANY Adblocker

Post by mapx »

see acceptable ads and how to apply (for non annoying ads)
en/acceptable-ads
mapx

Post by mapx »

Restating the obvious: adblocking declared legal
blog/restating-the-obvious-adblocking-declared-legal
treos

Post by treos »

now that is some great news, congrats to ABP. :)
Compuitguy

Post by Compuitguy »

Great news indeed

Congrats
ASilverblade

Post by ASilverblade »

As far as I am aware, client-side Ad blockers are legal, a person has every right to control what they view on a website; The existence of an ad blocker is not inherently illegal.

If any law even came out regarding this issue, it would be as simple as an ad blocker installer/extension page warning the user of the implications of using an ad blocker.

Once again, in the case of AdBlocker, it is CLIENT SIDE software; You can't sue anyone for having it just as you can't sue someone using Peer-to-Peer software for legal downloads.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Another court, another (obvious) win for ad blocking ... and Acceptable Ads too · 2015-05-27

blog/another-court-another-obvious-win- ... le-ads-too
We hate to keep reporting yawn-inducing, self-evident news – but it’s our duty to inform you that ad blocking has been found 100 percent legal (again). This time the court weighed in on our Acceptable Ads initiative as well … and it turns out that’s OK, too.

As readers of this blog will remember, just a month ago a group of (gigantic) German publishers took us to court in Hamburg because they thought ad blocking should be outlawed. Well, a second group of giants, this time from TV, came to Munich with similar complaints. The difference is that the Munich case was a little more complicated. The publishers who sued us this time also attacked our Acceptable Ads initiative.

The reaction of the court was just the same though: ad blocking is just fine.
read more at the page linked above
Vegan

Geocities

Post by Vegan »

Used to be a free web host called Geocities but it died along with a lot of others thanks to the widespread use of adblockers

Tripod was another that was wrecked by adblockers but amazingly they are still up, with no ads last time i looked, i am not sure what is up with them now

all that adblockers so now is force sites to use video more and more which cannot be tampered with, which favors large corporations while destroying all the smaller ones

so the moral hazard has trashed so many sites that I now estimate that over 98% have gone dark

hope you are happy, because now all you have left is not exactly desirable
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

I thought GeoCities died because Yahoo got tired of it and wanted to simplify its portfolio.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Vegan

Post by Vegan »

lewisje wrote:I thought GeoCities died because Yahoo got tired of it and wanted to simplify its portfolio.
Far from it, they retired it because it was not making money.

I have countermeasures to adbockers on my web properties and recently some miscreant tried to hammer a page with 275,000 requests, he failed to bring down my site

I practice law and I can extradite which would make hurt as defending against such a charge would be expensive in the extreme

I suggest everyone start reading up on copyright law
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

If you were serious with your legal threats, you'd do what the major publishing conglomerates are doing: Filing (baseless) lawsuits.

BTW I doubt the user trying to DoS your site had anything to do with the ad-blocking community: Our focus is on reducing the amount of traffic on the Web. :lol:
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
DeathCheese763

Post by DeathCheese763 »

When You post a website users DOWNLOAD the html/css/javascript in the time it takes to load the site, thus the web is open source and once the site on the end users computer THEY OWN IT it is their code to edit and filter as they see fit. You might as well prosecute anyone who opens the developer tools after downloading your site and edits the code. Your point is mute, no one on this forum cares about your plight or they would not be here. And there are no laws "that I know of" that prevent me from filtering web content once I own it. No one owns anything on the internet If you don't like how your code is used TAKE IT DOWN otherwise quit wasting the time of people who don't care to make invalid points.
Vegan

Post by Vegan »

reducing traffic on the internet? then stop using torrents and stop streaming videos

adds are < 1/10 of 1% of the internet traffic
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

browsing with ads uses more traffic than browsing without ads

every little bit helps