How to configure for Ethernet only

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
gazthewiz

How to configure for Ethernet only

Post by gazthewiz »

I have installed Adblock plus on my Samsung Galaxy Tab4, which I connect via Ethernet only. The app wants me to configure proxy settings for wifi, but I do not use wifi. How can I get Adblock Plus working on my tablet? :?:
lewisje

Re: How to configure for Ethernet only

Post by lewisje »

How is it even possible to connect a tablet via Ethernet?
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
gazthewiz

Post by gazthewiz »

Many Android tablets cannot connect to the Internet via Ethernet, but a few models can. This is not something you can add yourself - it must be built into the tablet manufacturer's implementation of Android. The Samsung Galaxy Tab4 is one tablet that can connect via Ethernet - you need an adapter that plugs into the Micro-USB port. Such adapters are readily available on eBay, but you need to be careful to get one that is Android compatible. The reason I use Ethernet is because WiFi gives me severe insomnia.
gazthewiz

Post by gazthewiz »

Is there anyone out there who can tell me whether the Android version of Adblock Plus can be configured to work on a tablet that only connects to the Internet via an Ethernet connection?

Judging by the complete lack of helpful responses, I suspect that it isn't possible.

I would really appreciate it if I could get some advice from someone who does know the answer...... :roll:
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

My best guess is also "no" because
gazthewiz wrote:it must be built into the tablet manufacturer's implementation of Android
and ABP, like most generic Android apps, is built to rely on standard Android APIs.

Now, if anyone is willing to work on it, a branch of ABP might be developed that recognizes the existence of Ethernet connections, as exposed by these custom builds of Android.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
gazthewiz

Post by gazthewiz »

Thanks for the response.

I have uninstalled Adblock Plus for Android from my tablet, and instead I'm using Firefox with Adobe Flash Player and Adblock Plus for Firefox.

This works fine, except for one issue - when watching video streams, the screen blanking still operates. I got around that one by installing the App "Screen Timeout Toggle". I would have preferred to use Chrome browser as it is integrated with Android sufficiently to avoid the blanking issue, but I am very happy to use Firefox as I'm quite familiar with it and find it more flexible than Chrome.

It's a bit of work setting everything up, especially as Google have removed Adobe Flash Player from the Play Store, but there are ways around that.

Adblock Plus for Firefox does its thing and blocks annoying ads from webpages and even video ads from catchup TV!

BTW - Although I have ticked "Notify me when a reply is posted", I am not receiving any notifications. I have tried to check / change the email address stored in the system, but I can't find how to do that. :x
mapx

Post by mapx »

to change the email address should be here:
forum/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=reg_details
gazthewiz

Post by gazthewiz »

Thanks for that. It must be the only thing in the Control Panel that I didn't check thoroughly.

My email address is correctly recorded in the system, and I have always checked the box "Notify me when a reply is posted", but I am not receiving any notifications when replies are posted.

Why is this?
mapx

Post by mapx »

be sure to check your spam box, I have no problems ... I'm notified every time
gazthewiz

Post by gazthewiz »

I have checked my Junk email folder - there is nothing there.

I tried to send a private message to Wladimir Palant, but the message is sitting in my OutBox, refusing to be delivered.....
mapx

Post by mapx »

The message is still there because WP didn't read it yet. It's normal behaviour.
gazthewiz

Post by gazthewiz »

OK - I wasn't aware of that - when I send an email, it only stays in the outbox if it can't be delivered (usually because the computer is off-line).

Normally, as soon as I send an email, it appears in the Sent folder. That is what confused me.

I will wait to see if Wladimir can shed some light on the problem.
gazthewiz

Post by gazthewiz »

Still waiting for my private message to Wladimir to be read. It is still sitting in my Outbox. How long should it take to be read??
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

He barely visits these forums at all, and unless Ethernet-capable Android builds gain traction, I doubt he and the other developers will try to make ABP Ethernet-aware.
gazthewiz

Post by gazthewiz »

Is there any other way to get someone to look at why I am not getting email notifications?
My email address is correctly recorded, I always check the box "Notify me when a reply is posted", but I never get an email to tell me someone has added a comment.