New Glitch?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
brianWE

New Glitch?

Post by brianWE »

Just installed the latest update of ABP.
FF 2.o.o.7

Now, when I use desktop shortcuts to access regular sites, I get a Windows (XP PRO) error message with the tone of doom tellig nme it can't find the file.
But the page loads, anyway, right after.

Did a restore back to last tuesday....ABP is gone.

Downloaded and installed, again.
Same message when I use a desktop shortcut.

I am still working ok....just find the error messages a bit distracting.
Frenik

Same

Post by Frenik »

Yep, I'm experiencing the same thing. Happens when anything calls the browser to open as well as shortcuts. (ie, Search box in StatBar)

I think it might be a combination of extensions that can make it happen.

I also had this problem with another extension (though I cant remember what it was now) but since it wasn't that necessary I just removed the extension..

Adblock is one extension that I cant live without though.

Didn't occur with previous version, and problem disappears when Adblock is disabled.

[EDIT] I don't know why, but the problem has just disappeared.

[EDIT2] OK, I see why now. I was running Filemon in the background to try and see where the problem was happening. When filemon is running, problem doesn't occur.
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

Similar issues here...
brianWE

Post by brianWE »

Still getting it.

No way I want to disable AdBlocker....my favourite webforum is advert dominated.
And they ain't gonna change it.
They can't afford to.
brianWE

Post by brianWE »

BTW
doesn't happen with links on my links bar.

Just the desktop shortcuts.
myron

Post by myron »

i installed the newest update, and now cannot even open firefox at all.

when i try to ope firefox i get an error message saying that "firefox.exe has enocuntered a problem, and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience.

i really do not want to have to reinstall firefox, i will lose all my bookmarks, and that is not an option.

someone please help. adblock has killed my browser! is there a way i can remove the adblock extension without opening firefox?
myron

Post by myron »

ok, i managed to get firefox to work again. i started in safe mode and disabled adblock plus. i then restarted firefox in normal mode and everything was fine. i then tried enabling adblock plus again and restarting firefox, but this led to the same problem again, which was firefox not opening at all, saying it had encountered a probelem and needed to close.

so now i have just disabled adblock plus completely, and firefox works again. hopefully this issue is fixed, update 0.7.5.2 is the obvious culprit. i like adblock but not as much as i like a browser that opens.....
Cymrubeats

Same problem as everyone else here.

Post by Cymrubeats »

Ever since updating to the latest (0.7.5.2), whenever i open a link from an email, favorites on the start menu, or any link when firefox is closed, i get this error:

(For clarification, it's not just with digg.com links :P ).

If firefox is already open, then the problem doesn't occur...disabling adblock fixes the problem, and any previous version didn't give me the problem either (that's why i'm always quick to update ABP, it was one of the best, yet least obtrusive extensions i use...) Hopefully a resolve will be quick to arrive, as the web can be a hellhole without it.
Peng

Post by Peng »

Well, if 0.7.5.2 is totally borked, for now you could get 0.7.5.1 from addons.mozilla.org. The fixes in 0.7.5.2 aren't vital.
Matt Nordhoff
Gregg k

Same here!

Post by Gregg k »

I just spent a half hour with Dell tech support before discovering it was the new Adblock update.

Yikes. I thought my new computer had spyware.
Tito

Internet shortcut issues with 0.7.5.2

Post by Tito »

Like other folks here I found out that this new Adblock update trigger an error when opening an internet shortcut - i.e. like one you have placed on teh desktop for example. This issue ONLY happens if F.Fox is launched by double clicking the shotcut... if F.Fox is allready up and running and you d.click an internet shortcut this issue will NOT occur - you will simply get a new tab...

Just FYI

Thanks
brianWE

Post by brianWE »

Funny thing....if I click on my desk shortcut for my FF home page, it opens without trouble.
All other shortcuts result in the error message pictured above, then the page loads.
Cymrubeats

Post by Cymrubeats »

Peng wrote:Well, if 0.7.5.2 is totally borked, for now you could get 0.7.5.1 from addons.mozilla.org. The fixes in 0.7.5.2 aren't vital.
Thanks for that, i went bacl to 0.7.5.1 and the problem has gone. I hope nothing said about adblock here is taken as criticism, it's not that at all, i, and i am sure the rest of the people here, are just mentioning a problem, not 'complaining' about one. :P

Nonetheless, keep up the great work, and may the project long continue.
r0lZ

Post by r0lZ »

Same problem here, with WinXP SP2 and Firefox 2.0.0.7.

Disabling the offending extension solves the problem, but, of course, I would prefer a better solution! In the meantime, I will install the old version. Thanks for the link, Peng!

I have to add that even with all extensions disabled except ADBlock Plus, I still have the problem.

BTW, I had a similar problem with the Google Toolbar, that I have uninstalled without regrets.
Ares

Post by Ares »

I also had to switch back to 0.7.5.1. I'm wondering if this is just a windows problem. Anybody on Linux experienced the same?