Strange Data Spike

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
Luos_83

Strange Data Spike

Post by Luos_83 »

First the basic info:
Nexus 5, Cyanogen mod.

Give me applications like 3dsmax and I can tell you with my eyes closed what to do, but I am quite the android newb, so apologies for anything I might say that doesnt make sense.

About half an hour ago I suddenly get a text message from my provider mentioning im way past half my data limit for the month, which is already quite strange since I work from home and I wifi all the things.
I checked my data usage for the month, and it shows me a big spike occuring today, which must have happened in the 10-15 minutes before the text message as I was out getting some groceries.
The only application in the list that took up all the data was Adblock Plus.

showing that the spike happened today:

And the only culprit I see is Adblock Plus, so I am guessing it was doing something very oddly in the short time I was outside.
Which is rather odd since I did activate the "Refresh only trough wifi" option.
But one can clearly see adblock took a whopping 1.10 GB out of my monthly limit.
For me this isnt a big problem, I am at home a lot, all my friends and family have wifi and even my internet provider has this wifi-access troughout the whole country thing going on.
And I am going to activate aforementioned service since I am rather worried adblock might drain another few GB if I am outside of my own wifi-range.

I did call my provider to see if there is any way to get more specific data on what the spike caused, but "We are not allowed to store such data" was the reply.
If there is anything else I can provide to help dev's or others spot the issue with the spike/adblock plus I am happy to help.

Cheers!
mapx

Re: Strange Data Spike

Post by mapx »

You should file an issue on the bug tracker with all this info:
https://issues.adblockplus.org
Luos_83

Post by Luos_83 »

I'd like to, but

"Submission rejected as potential spam
SpamBayes determined spam probability of 99.29%"

Edit: removed some of the blablabla, isnt considered spam anymore.
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/3059
mapx

Post by mapx »

Are you talking about adblock browser or adblock plus for android ?
which version are you using ?
BamBam

Post by BamBam »

I think I can confirm this. Adblock Plus v1.3 v359 on android used 1,43 GB on WLAN.

I was lucky that it happened while I got wlan. The mobile datausage looks normal and adblock is not on the top of the apps.
BamBam

Post by BamBam »

Wow adblock uses lots of data recently. Its already at 1.56 GB
mapx

Post by mapx »

see
en/android-faq#traffic

if your provider confirms this behaviour it's the same issue as OP, otherwise see the link above
BamBam

Post by BamBam »

mapx wrote:see
en/android-faq#traffic

if your provider confirms this behaviour it's the same issue as OP, otherwise see the link above
The linked post says its the sum of all other apps. How come it says 1.61 GB while the traffic of all other apps is below 200 MB?
BamBam

Post by BamBam »

It happened again:

Sorry but the app is a fail at the moment. It doesn't block all ads but it kills the data limit really fast. Since you are not able to fix it I had to removed it. Im done here.. you just lost another user. Good luck!