How do I block adblock popups?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
schlake

How do I block adblock popups?

Post by schlake »

Sometime recently adblock has starting popping up little modal windows ("Hide targeted messages? This site has been known to show targeted messages to Adblock Plus users. Do you want Adblock Plus to hide targeted messages? Yes No") One of the reasons I install and use adblock plus is so that I can block those kinds of annyoing messages! How do I make ABP stop doing this? I couldn't find a setting in either options or filter preferences.
mapx

Re: How do I block adblock popups?

Post by mapx »

try disabling this list:
Adblock Warning Removal List
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

I looked in the source code to ABP and it looks like it's asking whether you want to enable the Adblock Warning Removal List.

The principal source repository is Mercurial, but the GitHub mirror is easier to search through: https://github.com/adblockplus/adblockp ... nit.js#L34
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
schlake

Post by schlake »

Ok, I've disabled that list. I'm pretty sure I never enabled it on any of my computers though. I'll see if that fixes it!
schlake

Post by schlake »

Nope, it still appears with the AdBlock Warning Removal List disabled.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Do you get that popup whatever site you visit or only a specific one ?
example of such site ?
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

I haven't gotten the popup to appear (I tried a couple sites that I know at one time had adblock warning messages), but it looks like this feature was added a year and a half ago: releases/adblock-plus-251-for-firefox-released

Could you post a URL where the popup keeps appearing?
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
schlake

Post by schlake »

Sorry for the late reply, I got sick and went home for the day yesterday.

I'm certain that both forbes.com and theatlantic.com were both causing those, but it isn't happening this morning. I'll come back if it happens again.
schlake

Post by schlake »

They haven't come back today. Either firefox-41.0.1 fixed it, or ABP did something to fix it.

Um, thanks for the help! :)
schlake

Post by schlake »

Ok, one came back today. The URL is http://www.theatlantic.com/ and my browser version is 41.0.1. My adblock plus version is 2.6.11.
schlake

Post by schlake »

I have EasyList as my filter, plus some custom rules for a few sites, and the popup appears from adblock with or without the adblock warning removal list enabled.
mapx

Post by mapx »

The list is still enabled or disabled ?
Did you respond with NO ?
schlake

Post by schlake »

I have the "Adblock Warning Removal List" enabled. It fixed my mac, but not linux. I've tried enabling it multiple times under firefox on linux.. I'm still getting the pop ups from adblock plus every time I click on a link to the atlantic. It's really annoying.