instead of block reload ads 100 times in the background

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
tfu

instead of block reload ads 100 times in the background

Post by tfu »

Hi,

I'm not sure how adblock works when it parses the pages really but I was thinking that sometimes attack is a a good defense

This has probably been up before but my thought was that since a lot of companies is trying to go around addblock and showing ads in some way or another.

would it be possible to get adblock to not show the ads to the end user but at the same time reload the ad in the background, lets say 100 times in an effort to put more load on the webservers that host those images.
When you host a webserver and see that the banners and ads are the source for the most bandwidth.
There's a lot of people out there with huge amounts of bandwith that aren't concerned with anything else than clearing the screen from ads, not about bits and bytes.
make'em suffer..

or is this very unethical?
lewisje

Re: instead of block reload ads 100 times in the background

Post by lewisje »

tfu wrote:is this very unethical?
It is: It combines view-fraud (deliberately load-but-don't-show) with DDoS.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
tfu

Re: instead of block reload ads 100 times in the background

Post by tfu »

thats what I thought,.

I got the idea from the spam filter for sendmail that keeps the tcp-session open towards the sending server.
A normal smtp server connects and sends one or two email towards the receiver, but a spammer connects again and again,.but keeping the tcp session open the senders hands get tied up.
it doesn't affect the normal server nor does it help the reciever that much, but in the big context the senders resources are limited.