Problem with Nexus 9 tablet/Marshmallow

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
ejbleen

Problem with Nexus 9 tablet/Marshmallow

Post by ejbleen »

My Nexus 9 tablet was recently updated to Android M (Marshmallow).

I can set up ABP on my local wifi connection and everything is OK for a while. Then my browser (Chrome), will complain that a site can't be loaded, or Flipboard will start to load a page but never complete. If I go to ABP settings and turn it off, or if I remove the proxy information from the wifi settings, everything immediately works again. If I then turn ABP back on, or add the proxy information to the wifi settings, nothing will load.

However, if I turn ABP off and wait for half a day or so, load a web page, and turn ABP on, everything will work ... for a while. Then once more Chrome or Flipboard will refuse to load, and I'll have to turn ABP off again.

There were never any problems under Android 5.x. Can anyone shed any light on what's going on here?
lewisje

Re: Problem with Nexus 9 tablet/Marshmallow

Post by lewisje »

My best guess is that Android 6.0 changed the underlying APIs in some breaking fashion, and Palant & Co. still haven't figured out how to work around them; with that said, ABP for Android never really worked well and you might be better off, for most purposes, using the Adblock Browser, or using Firefox with ABP. (I realize that this means that ads won't be blocked in other apps, unfortunately.)
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
ejbleen

Re: Problem with Nexus 9 tablet/Marshmallow

Post by ejbleen »

Here's an update. Complete hard reset of the Nexus 9. After this, ABP does work better. Every two days or so, Chrome or Flipboard will "hang" attempting to load a page. I turn off ABP, the site resolves, and now I can turn ABP back on again immediately and everything is fine for another couple of days.

Since this is essentially a clean version of Marshmallow on the Nexus 9, I am very puzzled that no one else is reporting problems with this combination. Having to turn ABP on and off is a small price to pay for being able to block ads, but it's clear that something's very wrong somewhere.

Otherwise, ABP is fine, except that I wish the subscription lists would update more frequently .....

Regards,
EJB