[Suggestion] Auto-Mute Supported Ads

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Warhaven

[Suggestion] Auto-Mute Supported Ads

Post by Warhaven »

I'd like to continue my support for favorite twitch streamers by keeping the ads enabled, but listening to the same ad over and over and over and over gets on my nerves. Was wondering if it were at all possible to add an option to auto-mute ads as opposed to outright blocking them?
lewisje

Re: [Suggestion] Auto-Mute Supported Ads

Post by lewisje »

For HTML5 ads, set the "muted" attribute of the audio or video element to true: https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/embedded-co ... edia-muted

For Flash ads, you'll need to figure out whether they can be muted via any sort of JS API.

In either case, it's beyond the scope of ABP and would be better implemented as a UserScript.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
KernelDeimos

Post by KernelDeimos »

How is this beyond the scope of ABP? It would only require modifying elements on the page. I assume ABP already parses HTML to determine which elements are ads.

For flash ads, adding the attribute volume="0" should mute them.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

KernelDeimos wrote: I assume ABP already parses HTML to determine which elements are ads.
No, we don't touch the HTML. Adblock Plus blocks requests by interacting with the browser directly and it hides elements by applying CSS styles to the page.
KernelDeimos

Post by KernelDeimos »

Oh, neat! I guess checking every HTML element would be way too slow in retrospect.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

KernelDeimos wrote:Oh, neat! I guess checking every HTML element would be way too slow in retrospect.
Exactly: forum/viewtopic.php?t=5977
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
aFreakOfNature

Post by aFreakOfNature »

What about just muting the computer (like at the operating system level or whatever)?

Like, can ABP press my mute button on my keyboard for me and unmute when ad is over?

I'd really love this!
mapx

Post by mapx »

No, an extension cannot do what you want. Wait for the chrome implementation.