YouTube now shows "An error has occurred" while ads running

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
angrynerd

Re: YouTube now shows "An error has occurred" while ads running

Post by angrynerd »

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the account you're using. If you use a different or browse with no account the errors don't show up. That's the only reliable way I've found to get rid of the errors.

Maybe youtube flags your account for adblock use, and after a certain amount of videos watched sans ads they put that error stuff before your thing. Most likely not clientside.
angrynerd

Post by angrynerd »

Also interestingly enough the errors aren't showing up on the gaming.youtube.com section
pluuuto239

Post by pluuuto239 »

I've tried all the suggestions and it doesn't work either.
Except when I log out of my youtube account.
Is there any way that you can fix this? Because I don't want to start a new youtube channel.
Clappie

Post by Clappie »

Heya all.

Just wanted to let you all know, that Chrome Canary doesn't work for me anymore either. It worked so well yesterday before I went to bed.

Now it doesn't :(

Really hope it gets fixed.
thunderbeans

Post by thunderbeans »

I have been having this same problem for the last week or so also.

Really sad :(
markman641

Post by markman641 »

I also just had this problem start out of nowhere within the last few days. Assuming youtube made changes to their code or something.
Video will play if i let it sit on the "an error has occured" screen for about 15 seconds -- the length of an ad.
SpiderKisses

Post by SpiderKisses »

I've also got the same issue. It only started a few days ago for me as well, and it was very sudden; I've never had the "An error has occured" thing with either Youtube or Adblock Plus before. So far I've tried totally clearing my cache - cookies and all - then I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome; nothing has worked for me. I only ever watch the same channels on Youtube, and I've changed absolutely nothing about my browsing habits in the past few days, so I don't see how this could have been caused by something I did.

Chrome Version: 49.0.2623.87
Adblock Plus Version: 1.11
Easy List is my only enabled Filter List. I force updated it today.

I am also only experiencing the issue when logged into my account. Videos appear to be playing normally after I log out.

Not that I mind waiting fifteen seconds; "An Error has Occurred" is still somehow less obtrusive than any ad I've ever seen, but I am interested to know why this is happening and if it's evidence of YouTube gaining ground in combating adblocker programs - I'd hate for this to get worse to the point where Adblock Plus becomes wholly ineffective on YouTube. :)
blocker666

Issue dissapears if you sign out of your youtube account

Post by blocker666 »

I had this problem and and I solve it by signing out of my youtube account. although this is not a solution it might have to do something with youtube knowing you have ad-block on ormaybe your cookies

Latest version of Chrome, Ablock and Windows 10.

looks like is the same with ublock
mapx

Post by mapx »

another test:

go to YT, some video
right click on page, inspect
go to Resources tab
local storage ==> www.youtube.com entry ==> delete all the keys in the right panel
(eventually delete also the cookies for YT)
refresh

test again
blocker666

Post by blocker666 »

mapx wrote:another test:

go to YT, some video
right click on page, inspect
go to Resources tab
local storage ==> http://www.youtube.com entry ==> delete all the keys in the right panel
(eventually delete also the cookies for YT)
refresh

test again

Tried this, still the same issue.

Now I have 2 accounts a "gmail" account and a youtube account. I switched the youtube to my gmail account and the issue is also gone.
mapx

Post by mapx »

in this case ... you could delete all the entries listed under local storage (not only for youtube.com)
Youtub&AdblockNoWork

Post by Youtub&AdblockNoWork »

I posted in the topic "New issues with Youtube", on the Firefox sub-forum : forum/viewtopic.php?p=149245#p149245
It seems Google is flagging Google/Youtube accounts as Adblock users. And after they flagged your account, you get the "An error has occurred" problem.

Can you please log out from your Google/Youtube account and see if the problem is still present ?
blocker666

Post by blocker666 »

Youtub&AdblockNoWork wrote:I posted in the topic "New issues with Youtube", on the Firefox sub-forum : forum/viewtopic.php?p=149245#p149245
It seems Google is flagging Google/Youtube accounts as Adblock users. And after they flagged your account, you get the "An error has occurred" problem.

Can you please log out from your Google/Youtube account and see if the problem is still present ?

I can confirm this works, so I guess I 've got flagged
eternalwhitemoon

Post by eternalwhitemoon »

This is really dumb and it makes me really upset. Back when Google and Youtube merged, they created an extra profile for me that I did nothing with. So, following the advice here and on the Firefox thread, I simply switched to that unused profile and voila, no issues.

Hopefully that doesn't become flagged also.
blocker666

Post by blocker666 »

Looks like only 90's kids won't get the error (if they switch). That or use chrome in "incognito mode"