New issues with Youtube

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey

Re: New issues with Youtube

Postby Youtub&AdblockNoWork » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:16 pm

I have this problem also and created a forum account specially because of that problem.


Problem : On some Youtube videos, when the page loads, the videos stays black with nothing happening and, after 15/30 seconds, the video starts to play.
Configuration : Windows 10 x64, Firefox 44.0.2 x32, Adblock Plus 2.7.2

Possible cause of the problem : I tried several things (including what you said mapx), and I think I found the source of the problem. The problem seems to be related to your Google/Gmail/Youtube account. Each time I log in my Youtube account I have the problem; but as soon as I log out, the problem disappears.
I would like other people, that have the problem, to test this out : simply log out of your Google/Gmail/Youtube account and try on different videos (PewDiePie videos are good to test, because he has "pre-video ads" on almost all his videos).


Please keep us informed.
Youtub&AdblockNoWork
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:01 pm

Re: New issues with Youtube

Postby mapx » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:30 pm

I tested for example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gADntFQQ9U

it started quickly, no issue here (logged in my google / YT account).

Do you have a g+ account ?
User avatar
mapx
 
Posts: 21911
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: New issues with Youtube

Postby Youtub&AdblockNoWork » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:44 pm

Yes I have a G+ account but I don't use it.

The problem could be on several Youtube accounts, not all of them.
Or Youtube, after some time, associates/flags a Youtube account to a Adblock users, and then the problem appears.


If I don't use my Youtube account, Adblock works well and I don't have any problems.
If I use my Youtube account, I have the problem with Adblock. If I use my Youtube account on another computer or internet connection with Adblock, the problem will be present.
Youtub&AdblockNoWork
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:01 pm

Re: New issues with Youtube

Postby mapx » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:57 pm

Did you test the same account / videos on chrome ?
User avatar
mapx
 
Posts: 21911
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: New issues with Youtube

Postby Youtub&AdblockNoWork » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:41 pm

I was going to test out Chrome + Adblock + my Youtube account, but the problem disappeared on my usual browser :?
If or when it starts again, I'll test out Chrome + Adblock + my Youtube account.
Youtub&AdblockNoWork
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:01 pm

Re: New issues with Youtube

Postby Terkoz » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:06 am

Another here having the same issues. ABP no longer works properly for me. The ads do not show but either show a blank screen for the duration of them or else the error message for the same period. Logging out from youtube is not a worthwhile solution as then I would not have access to my subscriptions.

Hopefully this can be addressed soon. I appreciate it may not be an easy fault to find but at the moment there is not much point me using the extension.
Terkoz
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:38 am

Re: New issues with Youtube

Postby mapx » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:30 am

if it's not only about YT, you should refresh firefox, reinstall ABP.
User avatar
mapx
 
Posts: 21911
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: New issues with Youtube

Postby Mckay » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:16 pm

Youtub&AdblockNoWork wrote:I have this problem also and created a forum account specially because of that problem.


Problem : On some Youtube videos, when the page loads, the videos stays black with nothing happening and, after 15/30 seconds, the video starts to play.
Configuration : Windows 10 x64, Firefox 44.0.2 x32, Adblock Plus 2.7.2

Possible cause of the problem : I tried several things (including what you said mapx), and I think I found the source of the problem. The problem seems to be related to your Google/Gmail/Youtube account. Each time I log in my Youtube account I have the problem; but as soon as I log out, the problem disappears.
I would like other people, that have the problem, to test this out : simply log out of your Google/Gmail/Youtube account and try on different videos (PewDiePie videos are good to test, because he has "pre-video ads" on almost all his videos).


Please keep us informed.

It seems like some accounts are getting flagged, which causes an invisible "ad" to play before your video, acting as a nuiscance. Logging out or creating an account solves this problem. I think they intentionally added a playback delay for these flagged accounts.
Mckay
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:13 pm

Re: New issues with Youtube

Postby Youtub&AdblockNoWork » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:14 am

mapx wrote:Did you test the same account / videos on chrome ?

The problem appeared again.

I tested with chrome 49.0.2623.87, Adblock Plus 1.10.1 and my "flagged" Youtube account.
The results are weird, when I went to play the videos I get the message "An error occured. Please try gain shortly" and if I don't touch anything, 15 to 30 seconds after, the videos starts to play :shock:

Image


Mckay wrote:It seems like some accounts are getting flagged, which causes an invisible "ad" to play before your video, acting as a nuiscance. Logging out or creating an account solves this problem. I think they intentionally added a playback delay for these flagged accounts.

At this point, it really seems Google is flagging Adblock users :cry:
Youtub&AdblockNoWork
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:01 pm

Re: New issues with Youtube

Postby Zeak » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:15 am

As per HackerNews https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11270618

The solution seems to be to turn off "Ads based on your interests" here: https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads ... ated?hl=en
Zeak
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:43 pm

Re: New issues with Youtube

Postby Placid » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:58 am

Also registered to chime in on this.

I have the exact same issues, there is a pause of varying length (10 - 30 seconds, guess thats the actual ad length or something)..then the video starts. Sometimes, the video will start with only sound, and no picture. Sometimes Youtube will give an error "something wrong has happened, try again later" (or similar).

Logging out of my account works brilliantly, in that adblock works perfectly. Videos starts immediately, not a second of pause, no problems at all. Except for the subscriptions, etc of course :)

Zeak wrote:As per HackerNews https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11270618

The solution seems to be to turn off "Ads based on your interests" here: https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads ... ated?hl=en

Does not work. Mine was off, i tried setting it on just for the fun of it (it didn't make a difference). So i turned it back off again after a while.

Edit : After a few hours it seems to be working normally (IE, as it should, with no pauses or black screens). When going over the Google settings mentioned in the quote, i disabled everything (most already was disabled, only "Youtube Video Searches" or similar was active). Maybe it was just a delay for the settings to be implemented throughout Google's systems, i dont know... i'll come back and complain if it reappears, but for now, 3 weeks of this crap seems blissfully over :D



Placid
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:48 am

Re: New issues with Youtube

Postby Terkoz » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:32 am

Turning off the targeted ads fixed the problem for me. Thanks guys.
Terkoz
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:38 am

Re: New issues with Youtube

Postby munkitkat » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:12 pm

Just wondering if the developer is made aware of this issue? :shock:
munkitkat
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:08 pm

Re: New issues with Youtube

Postby mapx » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:56 pm

munkitkat wrote:Just wondering if the developer is made aware of this issue? :shock:


try
https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads ... ated?hl=en
User avatar
mapx
 
Posts: 21911
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: New issues with Youtube

Postby Placid » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:46 am

After a couple of blissful days of everything working perfectly, the dreaded "pausing" has returned (every possible setting in Google is set to off, when logging out, adblock works exactly as it should, etc).

If i am the only one experiencing it, i guess the problem could be on my end (though i am at a complete loss as to why).
Placid
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:48 am

PreviousNext

Return to Adblock Plus for Firefox support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cerceNig, Exabot [Bot], fifoxynor, Usassecede and 15 guests