ABP not blocking ads in *any* Android app

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
longtalker

ABP not blocking ads in *any* Android app

Post by longtalker »

Installed ABP for my new Samsung S7 Edge SM-G920F.

ABP blocks no ads at all, in any app, even though I've configured the proxy as requested in the Help, for my WiFi network. I've tried all of the lists provided, for the various countries, and none do the job. Restarted the phone, etc.

It seems many users are reporting this same problem, so I am wondering whether the makers of this app are even at all claiming that ABP is meant to block ads in Android apps? If so, it may be that they are delusional. Or perhaps it is only claimed that ads are blocked inside of a browser but not in apps? That does not seem to be the case either, as my Firefox still displays ads on pages.

I feel that this essential feature (its limitations) is insufficiently explained, and that support is also insufficient, judging by the number of unaswered calls for help on this forum.
Last edited by longtalker on Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
longtalker

Re: ABP not blocking ads in *any* Android app

Post by longtalker »

Not sure what your reply is meant to convey, other than a suggestion to use Adblock Browser, whose features again are hardly distinguished in your documentation from the ABP. In either case, the former does not work on my phone either ie it does not block ads.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Unfortunately at the moment we have no Android developer, therefore solving real issues is kind of difficult.
There is no android developer actually, so no issue can be fixed right now.
longtalker

Post by longtalker »

I understand, but I think a short note on your start page/FAQ, clarifying what ABP Android currently *can* (unclear, really) and *cannot* (block ads in apps) do would be useful and respectful to your users' time.
mapx

Post by mapx »

I'm not part of the official team (independent forum moderator in my spare time). I only gave you the information.
longtalker

Post by longtalker »

OK, thank you. Apologies if I sounded harsh, I really don't take any of this software for granted, and inf act I very much appreciate the voluntary help that people such as yourself are putting in for the benefit of the community.

I guess until the FAQ is updated, people can at least find this thread and understand what the current limitations of ABP are, for Android.

Thanks once again for your quick replies and clarification.
rach

Post by rach »

Hey longtalker!

Thanks for your message.
We have plans of having a more user friendly FAQ and help desk to support the users. Soon you will see some changes.

Feel free to give us any suggestions or comments.
t3k3n

Post by t3k3n »

rach wrote: We have plans of having a more user friendly FAQ and help desk to support the users. Soon you will see some changes.
May be you could add a trouble shutting session?
I would like to suggest using tips from here at least:
http://android.stackexchange.com/questi ... ot-working

The one that worked for me was to force close adblock plus, and it sudenly begin working!
Solely rebooting did not work.

May be, adblock plus could self probe and self restart, self apply known fixes or suggest what to do or send us to an updated page/wiki; we users could even help on improving such page.

To use apps without adblock plus is a no go to me... The interstitial ads are obnoxious, and there are some of the smaller ones, that keep blinking/flashing and we cant dismiss them because Greedy (oops, I meant Google) wont allow us to do it some times, and I end closing the application and go do something else until such ad stops coming, but now I am all good, THX!!!
rach

Post by rach »

hey t3k3n!

I will take a look at the link you sent. :)
Yeah, it really depends what will solve each and every issue out there. In any case, we do appreciate your suggestion.
I believe that the self apply known fixes is a real big step forward, also considering we don't have developers focused on this app at the moment.
Don't hesitate to contact us again.
rach

Post by rach »

Hey t3k3n and longtalker!

We are trying to understand a bit more about this app and the users.
Would you be willing to spend 5 minutes in answering some questions for us? That would be highly appreciated.
Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks in advance.
Roninnin

Post by Roninnin »

Will Adblocker added as app which will block all kind of ads?
rach

Post by rach »

We would like that Roninnin, but we are discontinuing the proxy app since it is really difficult to maintain.
Can't tell you exactly when / if we will develop something similar.
Cheers!