Subscription storage is full on Edge

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Microsoft Edge
gunner1095

Subscription storage is full on Edge

Post by gunner1095 »

There's no forum for MS Edge support so I'm posting this here. Please move as needed.

The 14393.5 Edge's AdBlock Plus extension 0.9.6.0 is aggressively complaining that "Subscription storage is full. Please remove some subscriptions and try again."

What does it mean? How to fix it?

lewisje

Re: Subscription storage is full on Edge

Post by lewisje »

I guess they decided to hide the Edge support forum, because I knew it was in the main list for a long time: forum/viewforum.php?f=27
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
mapx

Post by mapx »

it was fixed a "bug" (edge limitation) in ABP for edge: https://codereview.adblockplus.org/29348698/
probably the next version will fix your issue

I asked an ABP team person why that forum is not visible, waiting for a response.
Cave Waverider

Post by Cave Waverider »

I hope this will be fixed soon, I get "Subscription storage is full" messages pop up all the time on Edge with Adblock Plus. I like to be subscribed to all the available lists so all possible ads are blocked, perhaps that has to do with it.
mapx

Post by mapx »

try only easylist (the main list), does it work only with it ?
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

It's not enough for the lists to be deactivated, they must actually be deleted.

In my case, deleting the Malware Domains subscription was enough (it is a huge list of particular domain names, much larger than even EasyList); I hope that when I add in the subscriptions I normally use in uBlock Origin for Chrome, I don't hit the limit.

EDIT I had problems just switching Fanboy's Social Blocking List with Fanboy's Annoyances, and then I noticed the latter is over 9000 filters longer than the former; I ended up adding the following lists, along with a few hundred custom filters I had made, and I'm still under the limit: Adding up the sizes of all of these filter-lists (built-in minus Malware Domains, which has 25386 filters at the moment):

Code: Select all

|  211 Adblock Warning Removal List
|66319 EasyList
|11851 EasyPrivacy
|14052 Fanboy's Social Blocking
| 2009 Anti-Adblock Killer
|  178 Adware Filters
| 2379 Peter Lowe's Ad Servers
|   39 Facebook Annoyances Blocker
|    1 Message "seen" remover for Facebook
| 1132 Block the EU Cookie Shit List
|  408 my custom filters
-------------------------------------------
|98579 TOTAL
My guess is that ABP for Edge has a limit of 150,000 filters (adding in the roughly 54,000 in Acceptable Ads), but I'm not sure whether that includes comments, or whether it's really a file-size limit rather than a limit on the number of filters.

EDIT 21 August 2016 I just noticed a new warning message about subscription storage being full, so here are the new totals:

|  222 Adblock Warning Removal List
|66592 EasyList
|11891 EasyPrivacy
|14137 Fanboy's Social Blocking
| 2009 Anti-Adblock Killer
|  178 Adware Filters
| 2369 Peter Lowe's Ad Servers
|   39 Facebook Annoyances Blocker
|    1 Message "seen" remover for Facebook
| 1133 Block the EU Cookie Shit List
|  408 my custom filters
-------------------------------------------
|98979 TOTAL
I guess it's time for Fanboy's Social Blocking List to go (I tried "Block the EU Cookie Shit List" but still got the error); I noticed that the Acceptable Ads whitelist has gone from 54,000 or so to 65,756, and maybe that's the cause of much of my problem.

EDIT Actually, by putting the following command into the console on the ABP Options page (by opening F12 Developer Tools) I can get rid of the stored Acceptable Ads filters, and then even use the full Fanboy's Annoyances again:

removeSubscription('https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/exceptionrules.txt');
Last edited by lewisje on Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Nocturnal

Post by Nocturnal »

I'm having the same issue. I've been using the Adblock Plus for Edge since it first became available to Insiders. It just began with the pop-ups tonight - and they're very aggressive. I am only using the default lists - I've added nothing. I'm wondering what set it off all of sudden? And no info or support to be found. Found this thread fortunately. If this is a bug does it need reporting?
mapx

Post by mapx »

DeviousDevil

Post by DeviousDevil »

Installed anniversary update for Win 10 and then added Adblock plus and after only 7 days I'm getting this same error message.
I have not added any extra sites to any of the list I've just ticked the various lists.

The annoying thing is there is no guidance or UI to clear this up, bad UX all round.

Lets hope it gets fixed soon.
illuminator

Post by illuminator »

Hope you will fix ASAP.
At least, fast update to prevent message blocking whole UI.
jnm2

Post by jnm2 »

gunner1095 wrote:The 14393.5 Edge's AdBlock Plus extension 0.9.6.0 is aggressively complaining that "Subscription storage is full. Please remove some subscriptions and try again."
I'm getting the same on every computer.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

DeviousDevil wrote:I have not added any extra sites to any of the list I've just ticked the various lists.
If Malware Domains is there, whether checked or unchecked, you need to click the X to delete it, because that, combined with EasyList, is enough to overfill subscription storage.
catman9000

Post by catman9000 »

Such a stupid problem to have...
User123

Post by User123 »

The same issue here
jimh

Post by jimh »

Finally available for Edge! Been waiting for a year. Installed! Ads are gone, replaced by "Subsciption storage is full" messages.

Ok then. Back to Chrome, and forget about Edge.