I would like to know your opinion on this - is there a good reason to keep the "Check banner links" feature and the corresponding option around?
Reasons against it:
1. It has a strong negative effect on performance if enabled - meaning that switching it on is not advisable.
2. It is difficult to explain what this feature does, people often assume that it can be used to "block" links.
3. It causes some hard issues (e.g. bug 13633
, bug 16965
4. There are very few cases where this feature is useful - dict.leo.org is the only popular example that comes to mind (ads on the n-tv site that have been brought up by chewey before can be blocked directly by now). And element hiding should be better to deal with these cases, now that we have Element Hiding Helper.
5. I don't remember anybody complaining when we switched this feature off by default
(thus switching it off for everybody who had it on before) - barely anybody noticed.
Any strong arguments for leaving this feature in?