Problems with ad blocker plus

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Leg-O

Problems with ad blocker plus

Post by Leg-O »

Hi guys,
Many might have already asked this question but I could not find the answer.
I have 2 sites that I visit quiet frequently and since I installed ad blocker plus I can't seem to make them work right.
fotki.com has a menu bar on top of the page but with ABP enabled it is not visible or functional.
careerbuilder.com advanced job search fields are not shown with ABP on.
Once again, sorry If I repeat what others might have asked before. Just trying to figure this out and learn something new.

Thanks

[/url]
rick752

Post by rick752 »

All seems to be fine with those with the "Easy" subscriptions. What subscription(s) are you using?

I know you said it worked when you disabled ABP ... are you sure it was ABP that allowed it?
Is your javascript disabled or are you using the NoScript extension? Both of the issues on those sites need javascript enabled to work.
Leg-O

Post by Leg-O »

rick752 wrote:All seems to be fine with those with the "Easy" subscriptions. What subscription(s) are you using?

I know you said it worked when you disabled ABP ... are you sure it was ABP that allowed it?
Is your javascript disabled or are you using the NoScript extension? Both of the issues on those sites need javascript enabled to work.
Hi,
Yes, I am pretty positive and I've tested it a few times. I haven't done anything to any extensions, or javascript, me not that smart :lol: but if I disable ABP and restart FireFox all is working normally and all the menus work as they suppose to.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

OK. so I guess that leaves us with one unanswered question then:
rick752 wrote:What subscription(s) are you using?
Leg_O

Post by Leg_O »

rick752 wrote:OK. so I guess that leaves us with one unanswered question then:
rick752 wrote:What subscription(s) are you using?
Is it possible that I do not have any subscriptions? Sorry. Not sure how to check it, but that might be the case.
Leg-O

Post by Leg-O »

Sorry,
Just saw it. I have EasyList subscription.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Leg_O wrote:Is it possible that I do not have any subscriptions? Sorry. Not sure how to check it, but that might be the case.
Subscriptions are pre-made filtering lists that are suggested to you after the first time you install Adblock Plus. Or you may have gone here to get one (or more):
http://adblockplus.org/en/subscriptions

... OR, you may be using Filterset.G with the 'Filterset Update' extension.

If you never selected one, then ABP should be doing absolutely nothing at all. But I would say that you must have SOMETHING in you filter list because it works when you turn ABP off, ABP does nothing without filters.

If you go to Adblock Plus' PREFERENCES, you should see some filtering in there. Different groups of filtering will have different titles. If that box is empty, you have no filtering and nothing is blocked.
Leg-O

Post by Leg-O »

EasyList is the one that shows and I have many items that have been blocked, which is very nice. But I still cannot get those 2 sites to work and maybe there are more that I do not know about.
I just have using IE. It's super slow.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

If you are only using the EasyList, there is only ONE google ad being blocked on Fotki (6 on careerbuilder). If you have more, you are using more filters than EasyList.
Leg-O

Post by Leg-O »

I'll just reinstall it and see what happens.
Thank you for your help.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

All your filters will come right back again if you just do that (which you probably just found out). You could have just "Removed all filters" in ABP's preferences :(

But if you want to do a nice, fresh job, do these:

Uninstall Adblock Plus (restart Firefox).

Go directly to your Firefox profile and delete a folder called "adblockplus".

Now ABP and the filters are completely gone.

If you want to use the EasyList filters again, you can install ABP and add the filters just by following the links in the left column here. It is VERY easy:
http://easylist.adblockplus.org

Problems with gawker minify stylesheets

Post by Newbie »

Rick,

I'm using EasyList (USA), and seeing problems at 2 sites: valleywag.com, consumerist.com.

Both use a stylesheet like this, which I think is getting blocked:

link rel="stylesheet" href="http://www2.gawker.com/assets/minify.ph ... /style.css"

One of the rules must be matching and blocking this stylesheet, causing the site to render incorrectly -- making it unreadable.
Adblock Plus Fan

Re: Problems with gawker minify stylesheets

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

Newbie wrote:Both use a stylesheet like this, which I think is getting blocked
Easylist doesn't block this on my computer, I confirmed with the latest update.
Newbie wrote:One of the rules must be matching and blocking this stylesheet, causing the site to render incorrectly -- making it unreadable.
You can easily find out which rule.
Press ctrl+shift+B
You get a menu like this: http://adblockplus.org/en/tips?tip=effective_filter
In the searchbar write stylesheet and you should easily see which filter is the cause.

Once a filter is identified, you can right click it and choose 'edit filter in effect', which pops up a menu with the filter focused on.

It can be disabled by clicking the green bullets on the right side like this screenshot: http://adblockplus.org/en/tips?tip=subs ... ove_filter
remember to click apply.

(note, if it isn't listed as a red entry in that blockable list, then it's likely you have some other program which has blocked it, and it's not caused by adblock plus.)
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Like Fan says, I am having no problem here with my subscriptions.

Post by Newbie »

Thanks for the tips.

I should mention that I am running Firefox 3 beta 4. I still see blockage due to this rule, which has a LOT of hits, so I don't want to disable it, and I'm scared to edit it.

/[^a-z\d=+%](\w*\d+x\d)?\d*(show)?(\w{3,}%20|alligator|avs|barter|blog|box|central|crystal|d?html|front|fuse|get|house|hover|http|i?frame|inline|instant|live|main|net|partner|primary|provider|redir\W.*\W|rotated?|secure|side|smart|sponsor|story|text|view|web)?_?ads?(v?(bot|brite|broker|bureau|butler|center|click|client|content|coun(cil|t)|creative|data|engage|entry|er(tis\w+|t(pro)?|ve?r?)|farm|force|form|frame|gen|gif|groupid|head|id=|ima?ge?|index|info|js|juggler|layer|legend|link|log|man(ager)?|max|mentor|meta\.com|net|optimi[sz]er|pic|pool|popup|position|proof|q\.nextag|quest\.nl|re(dire?c?t?|mote|volver)|rotator|sale|sdk|sfac|size|so(lution|nar|urce)|space|srv|stat.*\.asp|sys|(tag)?track|trix|type|view|vt|x\.nu|zone))?s?\d*(status)?\d*[\W_](?!\w+\.edu|aware|adurl=|block|login|nl/|sears/|.*(&sbc|\.(wmv|rm)))/

P.S. Ctrl-Shift-B in FF3 opens the bookmark menu. So I had to open it via the menu. Then, the "Edit" rule (Enter) doesn't work in FF3. It brings up the main AdBlock Options dialog, and the problem rule is not shown/selected/highlighted.

Maybe there are some problems with this extension in FF3 beta, but I think the rule (above) is still matching too often.