Facebook

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
\\.\

Facebook

Post by \\.\ »

Facebook appears to have a work around to stop adblock working.

I keep on adding adverts to block and they seem to be calling their advert channel different names or reference to those names are no dynamic and that means that adblock is not blocking adverts any more until I select the block an ad and select the advert block.

I don't mind adverts if they are relevant to me, however, facebook insists on advertising lots of crap I would never buy and suggeting groups I would never join and also using my status to push dating sites and groups that I have no interest in.

perhaps a seconday blocking rout is in order, like using keywords like dating, girlfriend, buy now... to find adverts or potential adverts.
mapx

Re: Facebook

Post by mapx »

what kind of ads ? post a screenshot

Are you using the userscript for facebook ?
see
forum/viewtopic.php?p=157237#p157237
\\.\

Post by \\.\ »

Although I have Tamper monkey, its used by the youtube downloader tool, not sure how I would use it to block adverts.

What appears to be happening is they keep on changing the DIV id's and reference to those DIV's

You don't have any image uploading facility, so I put them here : https://ibin.co/3CyyEivQx17C.png (the adverts) they appear until I block them https://ibin.co/3CyyZKWOtrHm.png and see this information that keeps on changing, I can block several times a day and they keep coming back every few hours.
mapx

Post by mapx »

I wrote:
then go to https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/22210 ... nsponsored
click "install this script"
However, you are not using ABP (but AB).

If trending crap is on the right column use this filter:

Code: Select all

facebook.com###rightCol
\\.\

Post by \\.\ »

Ok, thats weird, I had ABP before.

Chrome did a spectacular crash one day and I lost everything including all extentions and had to reinstall everything and I asked for ABP as I used it before and no idea how I ended up with AB...

Well its installed now, I will monitor the situation but you should note that Facebook are definately changing the signatures to their advert channel which is tripping up ad blockers. Tonights ad block failure shows that they are rotating the ID of the Div.

Tonight's was ID=u_ jsonp_14_0, the class name remains the same at _4-u2_5v6e_cardRightCol_4-u8 so IMHO a regexp test for div elemnts that are something like /u_jsonp_\d._\d$/ as a test for these elements may improve the advert detection on Facebook ad blocking, first by grabbing all div elements and parsing them for any match for json then more scrutiny on the whole name thing.

There is also an annoying trend with websites that are not specifically testing for adblocker and many won't allow you to view content unless you disable the adblocker, These tests are a DIV that is dynamically injected in to the page that hidden and calls a specific element that would be referred to as an advert. These sites also use the reporting channel that google adsense offers to report browsers that employ adblockers.

IDK if you have considered a duping process that adblock could whitelist this process to make these sites detection fail, it would mean that asblocker would need to parse the JavaScript element to find this injection method as the process is often a random generated ID and HTML5 standard has now made this harder by making numerical ID's valid entities, so I imagine that your going to be looking for a DIV that is hidden by a class that hides or it has inline style that hides the dive and has a numerical ID for the div and is a an element that is injected in to the DOM at some point in the document.