Element Hiding Helper "not compatible with multiprocess"

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
zamlet

Element Hiding Helper "not compatible with multiprocess"

Post by zamlet »

Hi, all - n00b here so please be gentle... I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

The title pretty much sums it up. As of today (27 Mar 2017), the latest version of Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus for Firefox (1.3.10) is still being listed by the Add-ons Manager as "not compatible with multiprocess". This is despite the fact that the version of Adblock Plus that I have (2.8.2) IS apparently compatible with multiprocess.

I do not claim a full understanding of what multiprocess means with regard to Firefox, so I don't know if Element Hiding Helper really is incompatible or whether it simply has never been flagged as compatible. Since it's just an add-on for Adblock Plus, I'd think it wouldn't matter, and Adblock Plus's compatibility would be the only thing that matters. Nonetheless, I'd like to switch on multiprocess and see if the touted speed benefits are there, but I really need Element Hiding Helper as well, and if the two are not compatible... I'm not sure what to do.

I hope the folks who write Adblock Plus might look into this issue.
mapx

Re: Element Hiding Helper "not compatible with multiprocess"

Post by mapx »

You should test EHH after switching to multi process in FF.

However, EHH seems to be compatible with multiprocess, see the dedicated issue (now marked as fixed)
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/2879
zamlet

Post by zamlet »

Cool, mapx - thanks for the reply!

So there were at one time issues with EHH and multiprocess, but at least some of those issues have been addressed. I can't tell from that ticket what revision of EHH incorporates those fixes, though.

It still would be nice to see it verified as fully compatible.
mapx

Post by mapx »

probably those changes are only in the last dev build:

Code: Select all

#550: 2016-12-01 12:03 +0100 Wladimir Palant
Issue 2879 - Make "view source in separate window" command work again
#549: 2016-12-08 14:10 +0100 Wladimir Palant
Issue 2879 - Make "view source" command work again
#548: 2016-11-17 09:07 +0100 Wladimir Palant
Issue 2879 - Move element selection into the content process
#547: 2016-12-01 10:36 +0100 Wladimir Palant
Issue 2879 - Restructure existing process script, split it up into multiple modules
https://downloads.adblockplus.org/devbu ... elog.xhtml

and not in the last stable build
zamlet

Post by zamlet »

I installed the dev build you linked and that does indeed seem to have done the trick... EHH is now being listed as "Compatible with multiprocess".

I'm going to revert to the previous release build, though, and wait for this patch to be released. I don't like running dev builds of anything on this system for longer than I have to.

Now only four other extensions to track down and prod the developers about... :wink:

Thanks again for your help!
mapx

Post by mapx »

I'm using always the last dev build, it's working fine.