[Done] Removing "check banner links"

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@gustoflax: I think we need it to be more useful to take on RIP. Element Hiding Helper has more chances there...
gustoflax-

Post by gustoflax- »

Wladimir Palant wrote:@gustoflax: I think we need it to be more useful to take on RIP. Element Hiding Helper has more chances there...
Isn't Element Hiding Helper closer to Stylish?
Wladimir Palant

@gustoflax: Element Hiding Helper works in the same way as Stylish - but from user's perspective it is more like RIP, it is about choosing something and removing it.
fra diavolo

Post by fra diavolo »

I understood the negative effect on performance
but I use this feature since it was created and I think it is very useful.

I would vote against removing the feature.

thanks
Fra
Adblock Plus Fan

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

fra diavolo wrote:but I use this feature since it was created and I think it is very useful.

I would vote against removing the feature.
But do you have any good reasons for using this feature instead of using http://adblockplus.org/en/elemhidehelper to hide the ads by their links?
fra diavolo

Post by fra diavolo »

But do you have any good reasons for using this feature instead of using http://adblockplus.org/en/elemhidehelper to hide the ads by their links?
1) with check banner link feature I can add a rule with a simple click and it works for all sites
2) with elemhidehelper to create the same rule for a banner I have to execute several steps. It is not user friendly and a normal user is not able to do that

thx
Fra
Adblock Plus Fan

fra diavolo wrote:1) with check banner link feature I can add a rule with a simple click and it works for all sites
This rule will work for all sites too:
Ares2 wrote:#*(href*=doubleclick.net)
fra diavolo wrote:2) with elemhidehelper to create the same rule for a banner I have to execute several steps. It is not user friendly and a normal user is not able to do that
This is true I agree. Normal users who are ignorant of ABP's features will suffer feature loss.
hsteve

Re: Opinions requested: Removing "check banner links&qu

Post by hsteve »

Wladimir Palant wrote:I would like to know your opinion on this - is there a good reason to keep the "Check banner links" feature and the corresponding option around?
hello!

i just installed this developer version of adblockplus (0.7.5.3+.2008040612), and i realized that there is no more check banner links, which is really not good!
because for example in hungary, there is an ad server called adverticum which serves the ads and many times it is just provides a tracing link but the ad (for example pictures, gifs, etc...) are stored on the actual site. that means i have to write zillion filter rules to block these pictures (which is of course changes very often) but if there will be a thing that blocks links i only have to write only one rule (adverticum) and that is very sure that it will not change.

for example you could see this page: http://www.hwsw.hu/hirek/35749/
SlimShady

Post by SlimShady »

I see your point. Links are not listed in the 'blockable items' pane.
Adblock Plus Fan

SlimShady wrote:Links are not listed in the 'blockable items' pane.
That's not really a point :P
Links will be listed in the blockable items list if you have that feature enabled. And if there are items of that type to list.
Wladimir Palant

@hsteve: The element hiding rule "#A(href^=http://ad.adverticum.net/click.prm?)" will do, and that's the preferred way of blocking things by their link now.

@fra diavolo: Yes, on the one hand the usability is worse now. On the other hand, a "normal user" never understood how "Check banner links" worked - there were many complaints that it hiding plain links (without an image) wasn't possible.

Closing this discussion now because "Check banner links" has been removed already. Any further discussion can take place in the General forum.