Issues in the new ABP (version 3) for firefox

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development

Re: Issues in ABP 3.0

Postby Tinfoil » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:57 am

Whoever had the insane idea of completely ruining this, one of the most useful add-ons, should be removed from the project and barred for life from ever touching a computer again.
The last version is one of the most extreme downgrades i've seen, and i been using computers for over 40 years.
There's no use for this add-on anymore.
At least WARN users before installing something like this. What's been done here is nothing less than sabotage, it's malware.
There's no way to add sites or ads or anything to existing filters anymore, neither in rightclick menu or in dev-tools.
The UI icon doesn't do anything useful anymore.
The icon in dev-tools doesn't do anything useful anymore.
It's like ABP was bought by some sleazy ad-company and they decided to destroy it completely for everyone before shutting it down for good.
I totally 1e+40 % HATE what has been done to this add-on.
Do a rollback to the previous and WORKING adblock (but ofcourse adjusted to be ff57+ compat) as soon as possible, and whoever decided to ruin this add-on; get rid of that guy yesterweek.
Hopefully there will be forks of the older version coming out very soon, otherwise there are alternative versions. This one is in its current state worse than not having adblock at all.
Tinfoil

Postby mapx » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:44 am

@Tinfoil, read the thread:

click F12, click "Adblock Plus" tab, press F5 (refreshing the page) ==> You'll get the list of the web requests, triggered filters, hover the rows and you can click "block item" / "add an exception adding new filters"

You can also edit the created filters in options / advanced
mapx

Postby MBiddiscombe » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:16 am

Since upgrading to ABP 3.0, "about:blank" in Firefox (56.0.2 (64-bit)) does not (fully) blank the current tab. On some pages it appears to have no effect, on others it removes some, but not all, content.

Disabling ABP restores the normal behaviour of the about:blank URL.
MBiddiscombe

Postby mapx » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:25 am

for about:blank see
https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54401

(probably FF bug in FF 56, try FF 57, it seems working. FF 56 is very buggy)
mapx

Postby mapx » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Kevin "email" from https://adblockplus.org/blog/adblock-plus-browser-add-on-gets-comfy-with-firefox-57#c007251

Kevin · 2017-11-08 03:54 · #

It’s me again; I refined my list of must-haves for adblock. I tried to email it to the devs but got an email error. How can I email the developers??
Here’s the email:

To the adblock devs:

Earlier, I just listed things I don’t like in the new version, but I know it is more important that you (the devs) know which “features” are “critical” for users.
Since you can’t just copy the 2.0 design, you need to know the must-have features so you can re-implement them somehow.

So.. I would like to help by narrowing down MY must-have features to continue using Firefox.

Let me say that I am fully aware that the fault is Mozilla, and not you. I posted bug reports on Bugzilla years back and have used Firefox for years, but this change makes me consider abandoning Firefox forever. Ad-block is the only addon I use, but most features I simple can’t do without.

Right now Waterfox seems like it may offer a future. If you are unable to get adblock working good enough, would you consider continuing the 2.0 branch so it works well with Waterfox? Waterfox has plans to continue with add-on support as well as maybe using an improved Webextensions API with better low level access.

Anyways, here’s my attempt to narrow down the list of critical features in a way that is more friendly and useful towards you (I hope). Items marked in bold are must-haves for me to continue using adblock and Firefox.

1. I strongly dislike using adblock inside developer tools, because dev tools are slow, bloated and buggy. What I mean is that dev tools take a long time to open, they lags the browser when it’s open, and it has so many features vying for your attention, that it is hard to navigate to the right place. Now, to be fair, I think I could live with you using the dev tools if you have no other choice, but it does drastically hurt usability, so it will be a source of permanent annoyance.
In summary: this it is not a must-fix issue, but it will be forever annoying.

2. If i open dev tools > adblock after I loaded a page, I have to reload the page to see the list. This is a big waste of time, since you always open adblock after a page is loaded. Not only that, but the thing you want to block might disappear if you reload.
In summary: In the end I might be able to live without this, but it will waste a lot of my time. It’s possible this is a must-have.

3. The list in dev tools > adblock lacks critical features.
3a. I can’t sort the list (so I can’t find anything without wasting a lot of time).
3b. I can’t filter the list by typing text.
3c. I can’t resize the columns, so I can’t see the full url.
3d. I can’t see image sizes, which often helped me find the correct image.
3e. I can’t see image previews as I hover over items; this was important to find the correct one.
3f. If I click on a URL, it does not jump to that image on the page; this was important to find the correct one.
3g. If I click to block an item I can’t customize the filter rule. That makes it useless. I almost always need to edit the URL of the item I block.
3h. If the list shows an item that already has a block rule or exeption rule applied, I can’t click anywhere to edit that rule or goto that rule in the custom filter list. I must have this feature, or I would never be able to find the rule.
To summarize: These items from #3 are critical to using adblock in the future; without them adblock is not usable for me.

4. The custom filters section is useless now. :(
4a. I can’t import or export or backup filters.
4b. I can’t make multiple filters. I used to have 3+ different custom filters.
4c. The custom filter is just a textarea, it has no intelligence….
4d. I can’t sort the custom filter list, (Necessary to find something)
4e. I can’t enable/disable individual filter lines with a checkbox (often necessary as a temporary solution to something).
4f. I can’t text search for a filter line. (Necessary to find something)
To summarize: These items from #4 are critical to using adblock in the future; without them adblock is not usable for me.

5. right click > “block element” doesn’t work. It just shows an empty add filter window. (I will assume this is just a bug, so I will try to give a general idea of the features I must have.) When I right click > “block element”, I need the old window that lets you customize the URL of the image to whatever you want. Most of the time, I would edit the URL differently. I must have the ability to edit the url like I used to or adblock is useless to me.
5a. In addition to the ability to edit the URL, it is key to see which image will be blocked while still in the edit URL window. This is often important because the right click “block image” often picks up the wrong image … or if you edit the URL, it may affect a different set of images. Hiding the images as you edit the URL and showing a preview of the images to be blocked would help.

6. Element blocking doesn’t work. Element blocking is Critical: I must have the ability to EASILY block elements or adblock is useless to me.
6a. Currently, when I try to use the element selector in dev tools (like you said to do in your blog), it does nothing. I will just assume this is a bug, so let me mention the critical features I must have.
6b. After I highlight/select an item to block, I need the old style menu that shows the complete DOM structure for the selected item. Almost always, I will use that menu to make a more generalized element block rule. This DOM system and the ability to customize the rule is critical. I can’t do without this.
6c. When customizing the DOM/jquery entry, it should hide the items that it would affect as I edit the DOM settings. This was critical in making the right jquery/DOM settings. I can’t do without this live feature.
6d. When I use “block element” tool, it does not let me select as refined an area as before. It seems to only capture some elements, but doesn’t select smaller elements/areas or subtle differences in elements within the same square area. If I can’t precisely select the elements anymore, then it is useless to me. :(
6e. When I blocked elements, they often went to a separate filter list then when I blocked URLs. I might like to have this option, but can probably live without it.

7. The user interface is too hard to use. These item are not critical, but some are quite annoying.
7a. Getting to my custom filters takes too many clicks. In 2.x all I had to do was click on the adblock icon and select edit filters. Now I have to select the adblock icon, click options, wait for the tab to load, find the correct category, click on the category, scroll down to the custom section, click edit filters. As you can see this is quite tedious from a UI/UX design perspective. This is may or may not be a deal breaker issue simply cause it is such a huge waste of my time doing all that so often.
7b. The custom filters menu shows up in a tab instead of a new window. I don’t like this because I must deliberately move away from the tab that has my webpage just to edit the filters. An option to open the custom filters menu in a new window directly from the adblock icon (like before) would be ideal. However, this issue is not a deal breaker like some others were.
7c. Clicking on the new adblock button contains some useless stuff: whitespace, such as the left and right padding, and the big adblock icon… The whitespace could be removed. Why? All that extra whitespace covers up more of the screen, and from a UI/UX design perspective it is better to cover up as little of the screen with a menu as possible. This is not a deal breaker issue for me.
7d. Clicking on the new adblock button contains mores useless stuff: social media. The facebook, twitter, and G+ icons waste space. Also, I deliberately want nothing to do with any of those social media sites, so I don’t like them being there where I can accidentally click on them. This is not a deal breaker issue, but it reflects badly to me.
7e. I would like to see more direct links in the adblock icon. For example: a link that opens a separate custom filters window and a link to the options.

8. The “disable on this site” button does not tell me what site it is blocking and doesn’t let me select a subdomain either. This is a critical issue. I need to know exactly what domain or subdomain is being added before I click the “disable” button. Otherwise I won’t know if it is disabling what I want. In 2.x it would show the exact subdomain that would be blocked/unblocked, which is what I liked.
8a. A minor issue with the “disable on this site” button is that it adds the filter to a completely different section of adblock that is hard to find and use. I would like it to be a custom filter section that can be sorted and edited just like in the old 2.x This may not be a critical issue.

9. There is no global “disable adblock” I need this feature sometimes to disable all of adblock for a few seconds. This feature must be easy to turn on/off by using the adblock menu on the toolbar. This is a slightly critical issue.

So… let me summarize:
The following items are critical; I must have the features, or I can’t continue to use adblock:
3a, 3b, 3c, 3f, 3g, 3h
4b, 4c, 4d, 4e, 4f
5, 5a
6b, 6c, 6d
7a
The other items are still annoying, and I would prefer they be fixed too, but I wanted to try and narrow down the list to just the must-haves.

While we are talking, would you be interested in a new feature that I would like to have? :)

1a. I always have a hard time finding the URL of images on some webpages because the right click picks up the wrong image. This actually happens very often. It is usually because the image I click on is not 1 image, but several layered on top of each other. You might have a background image + another image on top of the background + a semi-transparent image over the other 2 that is used to trigger javascript events. So, when I right click, it tries to block the semi-transparent image that is on top that is used by the javascript. Instead, what I really wanted is the image underneath or the background. When this happens, it would be awesome if adblock could figure out that there is actually 3 images layered in the spot where you clicked … then it would show you a preview window with the URL and a preview image of all 3 images, then you pick the right one and edit the URL Offhand, I can’t think of a specific javascript command that lets you do this. Maybe you could do it by processing all the images in the DOM and finding out where they are on the page… then comparing that to the location the mouseclick occurred. However, I’m not sure if the DOM is designed to give that info. I know Firefox itself has that info, but then you would have to convince the Firefox devs to expose it as an API. :(

1b. If you can’t find any way to implement #1a (which would be an awesome perfect solution), then that means I have to find the image through a lot of hard work. Sometimes I have to go to page info > media to find the image… or use the DOM selector in the dev tools because adblock doesn’t show some images in the URL list for some reason. However, when I do use the adblock page’s URL list, it would be nice to have a place where I could preview all the images at once instead of having to slowly hover over each URL, wait for it to load, and hope it’s the right one.

I fear I may have said things that might hurt your feelings. :( If it helps any, think about this: You made a program that I liked in many ways, so you did a very good job… and the only reason that all these complaints exist (from myself and others) is because Mozilla made a bad decision that hurt you and everyone else. So, you perfected a great product over the years that many people liked, and it was Mozilla, not you, that messed it up.

Anyways, I do want to be open to you asking me questions about some of my must-haves. I’m sorry I was so harsh, and I hope you won’t be hurt by it… I hope our future talks can be friendly and even helpful to both of us.

Thanks,
Kevin
mapx

Postby bruceb » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:34 pm

You can all get Adblock Plus 2.9.1 from this link:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/versions/
Scroll down a tad and you will see it. Right click on the "Add to firefox" and select
"Save Link As" to save the installer file to your computer. This way you will have the
installer for if it is needed in the future. The Add To Firefox button will install 2.9.1
directly and get rid of the crappy 3.0 version
bruceb

Re: Adblockplus 3.0

Postby greiner » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:18 pm

temp20171106 wrote:but I don't see Adblock tab in F12, on debian stable, FF ESR 52.4.0

only Inspector, Console, Debugger, Style edi.., Perform.., Memory, Network.

perhaps have to apt-get update && upgrade.

I found that Firefox 52 didn't fully support the new web extension system yet and this appears to be one of the features that were still missing because according to Mozilla's documentation they only added it in Firefox 54.

In case you're wondering, we couldn't simply leave Firefox 52 on the old version of the extension because we cannot distribute two versions of the same extension through Firefox' extension store.
greiner
ABP Developer

Postby mapx » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:19 pm

reported
Frequent large disk writes since 3.0

here:
https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54420
mapx

Postby greiner » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:28 pm

Tinfoil wrote:Do a rollback to the previous and WORKING adblock (but ofcourse adjusted to be ff57+ compat) as soon as possible, and whoever decided to ruin this add-on; get rid of that guy yesterweek.
Hopefully there will be forks of the older version coming out very soon, otherwise there are alternative versions. This one is in its current state worse than not having adblock at all.

There is no way to roll back to the previous version because Firefox 57 is discontinuing support for all old extensions in favor of supporting Chrome-style extensions. That's why there also won't be any forks of the older version because it won't work in newer Firefox versions anymore. Unfortunately, the only path forward is to rewrite the entire extension from scratch.
greiner
ABP Developer

Postby bruceb » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:35 pm

One question: If we turn OFF updates in the Options (got to from the add on page)
will that just disable Updates or Update check for the version number or also for
the Filter Definitions ? ?
bruceb

Postby mapx » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:37 pm

You'll continue to get the updates for the lists (even disabling the addon updates)
mapx

Postby bruceb » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:55 pm

Good to know. Thanks .. Edit: Changed the option and Firefox is still
showing an update to 3.0.1 as available ... so it does not work as it should.
bruceb

Postby mapx » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:57 pm

mapx

Postby mapx » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:40 am

another bug: Filter list blocked by ABP
https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54425
mapx

Postby dc8 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:52 pm

Adblock 3, Firefox 53, win7 x64 pro. Adblock has dissapeared from menu bar\tools, how to restore it? I can't use Element Hiding Helper with adblock annymore, there is no option Set element to hide in new menu.
dc8

PreviousNext

Return to Adblock Plus development