Issues in the new ABP (version 3) for firefox

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: Issues in ABP 3.0

Post by greiner »

David Revill wrote:So can I confirm I understand correctly - the customizable "View Blockable Items" feature **will** be reinstated in future versions of ABP for Firefox? I agree with most of the other posts here. It's absolutely essential in terms of being able to be as tight or as relaxed as you want about tracking scripts and the like.
The feature already exists in version 3.0 and you can find it in the DevTools under the "Adblock Plus" tab but it's not yet as powerful as its predecessor. With regards to customization, please let us know which additional features in particular you'd like to see added to it that you've gotten used to from the 2.x version.
David Revill wrote:If your aim is to keep things really locked down, as mine is, the clumsy default options don't offer enough protection.
Our goal is to provide as much control to the user as possible. While this has become more difficult with Firefox 57 since extensions can no longer be as tightly integrated into the browser as before, we're listening closely to what we can do to help you regain this control.
Garlandwars

Post by Garlandwars »

Does the settings in about:config have any effect anymore on the current adblock 3.0.1? i noticed that it was still in 2.9.1 under extensions.adblockplus.currentVersion. If not is there any way i could edit adblock Subscription autoupdates? the daily check is bugging me and it considerably slows down firefox.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Garlandwars wrote:Does the settings in about:config have any effect anymore on the current adblock 3.0.1? i noticed that it was still in 2.9.1 under extensions.adblockplus.currentVersion. If not is there any way i could edit adblock Subscription autoupdates? the daily check is bugging me and it considerably slows down firefox.
Admittedly, I'm not sure myself whether about:config is relevant anymore but I'd doubt it. With the new Firefox version we had to move our data to the new extension storage or use other Web APIs. So you can look at existing preferences by inspecting an extension page using Firefox' DevTools and running

Code: Select all

browser.storage.local.get(console.log)
Assuming that you're referring to the subscription_autoupdate preference, you could then set its value to false by running

browser.storage.local.set({"pref:subscriptions_autoupdate": false})
MOB

Re: Adblockplus 3.0

Post by MOB »

mapx wrote:2. click F12, click "Adblock Plus" tab, press F5 (refreshing the page) ==> You'll get the list of the web requests, triggered filters, hover the rows and you can click "block item" / "add an exception"
Thanks for the instructions, I couldn't figure out where that setting was. Perhaps add a link there on the popup when we click on the ABP icon?

Also, when I do the steps above and press refresh, for some odd reason it either takes a long time to finish refreshing a page or it kind of freezes up (bloated). Also, the problem with refreshing the page, the ads on some sites keep changing. :(

The beauty of the old feature it was much faster and etc. Plus we could spot what ads or junk we wanted to block without having to refresh the page--which now makes it cumbersome to target what we want blocked.

Plus I also don't like the dark/black background and the red font color on blocked items, it kind of gets blurry or difficult to read. Maybe I'm going blind, but I think the old theme was much better? Maybe you can offer an option to change the background color? -- okay after adjusting the theme and restarting Firefox fixes it, but still another restart. :lol:

Also, I see that there is no way to disable ABP on a single page (instead on the entire site)? At least I could not find that option?

It's going to take a while to get used to the new platform. :(
Last edited by MOB on Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
mapx

Post by mapx »

What FF version are you using ?

see where's ABP panel (tab)
ModemJunki

Post by ModemJunki »

I've updated to FireFox 57 and when I press F12 I don't see the ABP tab.

How to configure ABP now?

Edit: Never mind - I had to "refresh" FF, as it imported all my crufty old tweaks.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!
fms

Post by fms »

Upgraded to Firefox57. Now, ABP leaks memory in multiple processes at once, at increased speed when compared to Firexfox56. As previously, the memory is lost in JS string allocations containing large pieces of the blocked HTML.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

MOB wrote:The beauty of the old feature it was much faster and etc. Plus we could spot what ads or junk we wanted to block without having to refresh the page--which now makes it cumbersome to target what we want blocked.
Firefox previously allowed us to get that information directly from the page whereas now we have to collect it ourselves while the page is loading. On trick you could use is to open a new tab, then open the DevTools (e.g. by using F12) and then navigating to the page you want to look at in that tab. Thereby you're getting the requests from the page without having to reload it.
MOB wrote:Also, I see that there is no way to disable ABP on a single page (instead on the entire site)? At least I could not find that option?
That's correct. This UI feature has yet to be implemented and we're planning on reintroducing a bunch of features from the previous Firefox version. Until then, you can create the following custom filter to achieve the same effect:

@@|http://www.example.com/test$document
Just replace "http://www.example.com/test" with the URL of the page you want to whitelist.
jaxonjones

Post by jaxonjones »

QuailRider43 wrote:I registered to voice my absolute hatred of what you've done with Adblockplus v3. It's awful. All the advanced features I've relied on for years are gone. The ability to easily view filterable items is gone. Element hiding is so much uglier than the Element Hiding Addon. The interface is really dumbed down now. What a huge disappointment. How to I revert to v2.x until this nightmare goes away? Kindly consider firing whoever thought this garbage was a good idea.
me too how do i get back the old one?
mapx

Post by mapx »

@jaxonjones read the whole thread
jaxonjones

Post by jaxonjones »

mapx wrote:2. click F12, click "Adblock Plus" tab, press F5 (refreshing the page) ==> You'll get the list of the web requests, triggered filters, hover the rows and you can click "block item" / "add an exception"
I cannot believe the changed to a hot key /click the icon/ hot key. before it was click icon and click show blockable items
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

jaxonjones wrote:I cannot believe the changed to a hot key /click the icon/ hot key. before it was click icon and click show blockable items
We're waiting for Firefox to allow us to add such a button again by fixing bug 1310037.
xtcmax

Post by xtcmax »

To: Addblock devs

Will you bring back the Element Hiding Helper for Addblock+ ?

With the updates and all I can't even open the list of my own filters that I had in FF 56. Where is it?
Some Divs are not being blocked by "Click on element to hide".
What are the changes of ABP+ being similar to the one in FF 56?

Thanks in advance,
Max.
mapx

Post by mapx »

@xtcmax, read the thread.

Then about EHH: a similar functionality is already in the ABP 3, will be improved as the devs already said above.
Your custom filters: go into settings (options), advanced, in the section of custom filters (My filter list)

For other filter issues report in the firefox forum with exact examples.
jerriy

Post by jerriy »

The dev tool is a complete disaster.

It's slow, it's buggy, it doesn't load properly half the time (the website loads but not the corresponding lines in dev tool - that remains empty and often a firefox drop down or popunder toolbar appears telling me to quit adblock or just whitelist everything on that site, which I absolutely don't want to do and defeats the entire purpose of having this addon.