Adblock won't install

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Internet Explorer
nernst

Adblock won't install

Post by nernst »

Just tried to install adblock from https://adblockplus.org/. The file downloaded was 'adblockplusie-1.6.exe' which started to install then came up with a messagebox saying it couldn't find 'adblockplusie-1.6-multilanguage-x64.msi'. Any ideas?
mapx

Re: Adblock won't install

Post by mapx »

nernst

Post by nernst »

Same difference - still looking for the same file
mapx

Post by mapx »

nernst

Post by nernst »

Thanks. None of this applies since it assumes adblock is installed. My problem is that the installation halts because it is looking for an msi with a different name which doesn't exist. I have just tried again (without add-ons) and checked the source C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Temp\is-9CDS2.tmp given by the error box and it isn't there. There are however two files called is-8779K.tmp and is-T3QMP.tmp so something is going wrong somewhere. I assume one is for 32 bit and the other is for 64 bit so it would be unwise to modify the source requested without knowing which. Both have the installation timestamp. When I exit the Windows Installer error message, these tmp files disappear. If it helps I am using 11.0.48 with Windows 10 Home 32 bit build 16299.rs3_release. 170928-1534. Adblock was installed previously but had to be removed to fix another problem with a conflict affecting IE due to recent updates. Discussions with an elevated Microsoft troubleshooter yesterday suggested that AppData is not a safe place to put things anymore.
nernst

Post by nernst »

Sorry that should be 64 bit! and IE 11.0.48
pfitter

Post by pfitter »

Don't know if you figured it out, but here's what I found. When the installer window opens, it points to the "use source" location. This is the wrong source for you. Browse to the location of the temp file: c:\users\<your user name>\AppData\Temp. One of the temp folders will contain the msi file; select that file.
The installer should remove adblock plus (your old install); then you can reinstall. Hope this helps.
nernst

Post by nernst »

Problem turned out to be first installer was already running but stalled. Fixed with reboot.