[Done] Removing Flock support

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Wladimir Palant

[Done] Removing Flock support

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I have been thinking about this for a while. Right now, Adblock Plus still nominally supports Flock - even though last time I tested Adblock Plus there was something like 2 years ago. I get zero feedback from Flock users, and with AMO telling me that there are something like 20 Flock users with Adblock Plus out there this sort of makes sense. I tried adding Adblock Plus to https://extensions.flock.com/ various times - without success, and I never get answers to mails. So I am giving up on Flock, next version won't be marked compatible with Flock any more (don't even know whether the current version is really compatible).
Last edited by Wladimir Palant on Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Oodles of Noodles

Flock.

Post by Oodles of Noodles »

"What the hell is Flock?" is what I'd like to say for comedic effect :D.

Had to search it on Wikipedia, then on impulse I decided to try it, first impression? Kinda like Firefox, I'm sure importing my Fx profile didn't help that. Anyway, it looks like ABP does work on, element hiding and adblocking. Trying to paste my feeds into it didn't work though, I got a lot of nonsensical stuff based on one of my feeds ripped apart, I think it barfed on this:

Code: Select all

gunbound.ijji.com##DIV[style="background: rgb(33, 33, 33) url(http://images.ijjimax.com/v3/globalheader/gblhdr_topbnnr_bg.jpg) no-repeat scroll center top; width: 100%; height: 93px; text-align: center; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"]
Anyway, back to Fx, just wanted to do a quick test and let you know how it's working. (Uninstalls).
sheepy

Post by sheepy »

The first time I've heard of this social browser is in the historical news that Netscape is gone for good, and that Fx and Flock were recommended for current users.

The second time I have heard of it a news/report/review/whatever that says 1.1 version is even more useful and innovative.

This is the third times I have heard of it.

Still I am with my fox. I must be getting out of touch with the younger generation...

Anyway, as long as abp support Firefox, you have us Firefox users at your back, Wladimir~
:lol:
hank

flock and adblock?

Post by hank »

Hmmm, tried Flock (OSX), first thing I noticed is it failed to import the FF addons.

So I tried getting its Tool/Addons to search for AdBlock, and it didn't find it.

Nor did it find NoScript.

This has to be Flock's problem, but it's a fatal one.

Bye......
erwan

Post by erwan »

Hey Vlad,

I'm the person who reviews extensions at Flock; I also happen to be an adblock user, so I must be one of the 20 that addons.mozilla.org reports!

I'm really sorry for the trouble you had submitting the extension. That sucks especially because you've always been quick to add Flock support in install.rdf and maintain it up to date. I remember seeing you requesting a developer account, and validating it, but I don't remember seeing Adblock plus in the review queue. Maybe there was some technical problems that prevented adblock plus to get in the queue...

Anyway, if you still want to get Adblock plus in the extension catalog and have any trouble getting it in, you can contact me directly at erwan at flock dot com so we can make that happen.

To users: no we don't import Firefox addons, however most of them work. You can try to install them from addons.mozilla.org or anywhere else.
Wladimir Palant

Thanks, erwan. Yes, I actually managed to get a developer account at Flock (after several attempts, when I realized that Flock was using a non-conformant mailer which is being blocked by greylisting that my provider is using to defend against spam). Unfortunately, I didn't get anywhere from there - the upload link in the confirmation mail wasn't working and I didn't get any response to my mail about that. Funny enough, I just tried and it is working now. I'll give it another try...
Wladimir Palant

Ok, Adblock Plus is now visible on extensions.flock.com - but the download has zero length. Great...
Wladimir Palant

Apparently, there are some people using Adblock Plus with Flock. Now that Adblock Plus is on the Flock extensions site, I should be able to continue supporting it.
Wladimir Palant

Flock developers must really hate extensions... Their web interface to upload extensions is gone without any notice, and all the data is gone with it. Right now the Flock extensions page lists four (!) extensions, along with a note: "Extensions.flock.com currently only supports extensions and themes designed specifically for Flock." I guess I have to reopen this thread.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

"Extensions.flock.com currently only supports extensions and themes designed specifically for Flock."
Sounds like they are on the path to the dark side :twisted:
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Flock developers must really hate extensions... Their web interface to upload extensions is gone without any notice, and all the data is gone with it. Right now the Flock extensions page lists four (!) extensions, along with a note: "Extensions.flock.com currently only supports extensions and themes designed specifically for Flock." I guess I have to reopen this thread.
then again, it was only a minor change to support ADP+ on both firefox and flock. Probably better than maintaining 2 sets of the same add-ons on 2 sites, which is probably why they ditched them, and forwarded people to the addons.mozilla site.
Wladimir Palant

I didn't see the link to addons.mozilla.org, they only have it on the main page. Guess dropping explicit support for Flock is the right thing to do then, supposedly they allow all Firefox extensions anyway.
NothingsSomething

WANT IT!! no NEED IT.

Post by NothingsSomething »

i don't use "ANY" i repeat "ANY" browser without add blocking capability. You see, I'm not a huge fan of viruses and such and that's where they usually come from!

and flock i love your browser i just CAN"T use it untill you get full ad-block plus support hopefully content filtering also i hate the pesky blank spots.

if there's any voteing scheme i can use i'll gladly use it and tell friends to use it.
Wladimir Palant

Re: WANT IT!! no NEED IT.

@NothingsSomething: And your point? Flock can use any add-on that works in Firefox - just go to add-ons.mozilla.org and install it. But I am not explicitly supporting Flock any more, now it is their worry to stay compatible with Firefox.