ABP 3.1 cosmetic bug? Icon shows Number even if unchecked

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
SGFC

Re: ABP 3.1 cosmetic bug?

Post by SGFC »

I have the same issue and I've even done a clean install of Firefox and ABP. Off topic when I installed ABP it didn't come with Ad Removal Warning filter list anymore. I had to find it and add it.

Screenshot of OP bug;
http://i63.tinypic.com/260qqmd.png

Firefox 60.0.1 64 bit English US
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (latest updates)

ABP
Greasemonkey
Country Flags and IP Whois
Norton Safe Web
MrGolem

Re: ABP 3.1 cosmetic bug? Icon shows Number even if unchecked

Post by MrGolem »

I changed title of my original post. I thought it would make it easier to find/understand. Hope I didn't break anything doing so.

Firefox 60.0.1 is out, updated and bug is still in this version of FF
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

The issue has been fixed (see change) and the change will be included in the next extension update. Before that the release has to go through testing together with any other changes that will be part of the next release so it will still take a bit of time before we can roll it out to everyone.
MrGolem

Post by MrGolem »

greiner, Great news. Thanks for the info. Thanks for all the help. Have a GREAT Day :-) :-)
Marco

Post by Marco »

Happy to wait.

Thank you.
Starving-Morlock

Post by Starving-Morlock »

Just to confirm I have noticed the same problem with FF54.0.1 (32bit) over the last few days and reinstalling Adblock Plus/rebooting FF or changing the filter settings did not fix the issue.

As others have said it is erratic and often the number disappears if you reload the page.

Typically the problem most often occurs for me when using the right mouse click context menu option "View Image" using the Images option in a search engine. But it is very specific only occurring if you left-click on a picture (Google Images and Bing) and then use the "View Image" on the expanded view. If you just use the "View Image " option on the search results page it does not happen.

Glad to read the problem is being addressed, it was beginning to worry me that another FF extension had stopped working as it was meant too.
Starving-Morlock

Still not fixed.

I was on YT a couple of days ago and the issue was very prevalent there too. What I do not understand is that the figure shown is not the total number of ads being blocked on a particular page, it is some sub-set. If you change the tool bar icon settings to display the number of all blocked ads it is usually many more and when you untick the box to swap the setting back the blocked ads numbers disappears completely. Odd behaviour.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Starving-Morlock wrote:Still not fixed.
We've been gathering translations which usually take a while. The release is expected to go out next week.
Starving-Morlock wrote:What I do not understand is that the figure shown is not the total number of ads being blocked on a particular page, it is some sub-set.
Technically, the number represents how many requests we blocked. Since a single request could create multiple ads but a single ad could require multiple requests, it is admittedly not ideal but this is consistent with how other ad blockers do it, as far as I'm aware of.

The underlying issue is that we cannot determine what a request would've done if the extension hadn't blocked it. For that very same reason we also cannot show you how much bandwith/memory/CPU you saved by blocking those.
Starving-Morlock wrote:If you change the tool bar icon settings to display the number of all blocked ads it is usually many more and when you untick the box to swap the setting back the blocked ads numbers disappears completely. Odd behaviour.
The checkbox only determines whether the "Ads blocked on this page" number should also be shown in the icon. It's not supposed to swap out one number with another one. That's caused by the issue we're talking about in this thread.
Starving-Morlock

Thank you for the explanation.
odiemouse

Post by odiemouse »

I am having this problem too. Its intermittent, but today its constant on Google Drive, but not other websites.

APB 3.1
Firefox 60.0.2
Windows 10 home, 64bit
Filters:
Adblock Warning Removal List
Easy Privacy
Fanboy's Social Blocking List
Easylist
ALLOW Non-intrusive ads
bjergmanden

Post by bjergmanden »

I've been a huge fan of ABP for so many years now, but I'm afraid our relationship is getting close to an end due to what seems to be a neverending set of frustrations caused by its latest versions. I mean, I've been using this once flawless tool to get me rid of all those pesky ads and popups, and it used to do its job amazingly well. But since Firefox changed whatever they did, which rendered ABP not working anymore, even though its compatibility with FF was fixed meanwhile, it kept on behaving oddly ever since. It's almost mid July now and the issue of showing random numbers in the addon's icon is getting increasingly frustrating. I'm seriously considering permanently switching to uBlock Origin if this problem is not fixed soon.

I mean no disrespect for the developer, as I'm a software developer myself and I know how hard a job it is to write code that just works, especially when you're doing it for free, but at the same time I don't think I can continue to be a fan of a tool that's supposed to alleviate an issue, when it's atcually defeating its purpose instead.

/rant :)

My setups are as follows:
ABP 3.1 / FF 61.0.1 (64-bit) / macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 / 15' MacBook Pro mid 2016
ABP 3.1 / FF 60.0.1 (64-bit) / macOS Yosemite 10.10 / 27' iMac late 2013

Filters (the same on both computers): English (EasyList) + Adblock Warning Removal List

Still keeping my hopes up and thanks for all your hard work!
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Unfortunately, there was an exceptionally large delay with this release. Usually the quality assurance part of a release takes about one or two weeks but this time it took about twice as long.

We are confident though that the release is going to happen next Tuesday. I'm sorry for the trouble this is causing and I can say that it's also in our own interest to get releases out as quickly as possible so that we can shift our focus to the following release after that.
bjergmanden

Post by bjergmanden »

Thank you for clearing things out greiner. Faith in ABP restored :wink:
Marco

Post by Marco »

greiner wrote:Thanks a lot, I can now reproduce the issue. For some reason it only occurs when EasyPrivacy (i.e. "Block additional tracking") is enabled so I'll see what I can find.

How are you doing on this?
I still get the counter when it is unchecked.

Thank you.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Marco wrote:How are you doing on this?
I still get the counter when it is unchecked.
Doing what?
Note that we moved that option from the icon popup to the settings page's Advanced tab so let me know if that's what you mean.