easier activation/deactivation of adblock plus

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
markus

easier activation/deactivation of adblock plus

Post by markus »

hi!

i'm new here, so please bear with me if i'm posting something that's been discussed already. (i did use the keyword search beforehand.)

since i'm using the "activate/deactivate" function far more often than the "blockable elements"-window that appears when i click the ABP-octagon in firefox, i'd like to suggest to make a minor change to the interface.
how about activating/deactivating ABP by simply clicking the octagon, and accessing the blockable elements-list through the dropdown menu?
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Middle clicking on the ABP icon will activate / deactivate it.
markus

Post by markus »

umm, but that requires a three-button mouse, which - where i'm from (austria/europe) - pretty much nobody has. in fact, i haven't seen anybody using three-button mouse in several years.
laptops usually don't have a third mouse-button either, do they?

if you feel that it's not necessary, i can live with it. just thought i'd make the suggestion, since i assume the frequency of use is so different.
Ares2

Post by Ares2 »

markus wrote:umm, but that requires a three-button mouse, which - where i'm from (austria/europe) - pretty much nobody has. in fact, i haven't seen anybody using three-button mouse in several years.
Cool, now I'm not the only Austrian here. 8) Though, I can't agree with you. :wink: I haven't seen many 2-button mouses in the last years here in Austria. Maybe you do have a third mouse button and you just don't know it? For most mouses I know you just have to click the wheel.
markus wrote:laptops usually don't have a third mouse-button either, do they?
From my experience, that's true.

To your question: Type "about:config" in firefox' adress bar, search for the entry

Code: Select all

extensions.adblockplus.defaulttoolbaraction
and change its value to "3".

More informations about the about:config options can be found here: http://adblockplus.org/de/preferences
markus

Post by markus »

on my mouse(s), "clicking" the wheel just activates another mode of scrolling, but that's not important...

thanks very much for telling me the solution. it's exactly what i was looking for!
(and greetings from innsbruck ;-) )
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

on my mouse(s), "clicking" the wheel just activates another mode of scrolling
That is most likely because you or who ever setup your computer installed the software that came with the mouse (eg: Microsoft intellipoint). The software usually screws with the buttons. I personally rarely install the software that comes with such devices, usually works better without it.
Stupid Head

Post by Stupid Head »

Some drivers include an option to emulate the third button by simultaneously clicking the left and right buttons.
What, me worry?
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Yes, laptop mouse drivers usually have one or another option to emulate the third mouse button.
zoidberg

Post by zoidberg »

I would also suggest making
"enable / disable adblock plus" the default
action when clicking on the toolbar button.

best regards,
zoidberg
Wladimir Palant

I think many people would disagree with me making that the default action...
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

A lot of people don't know about the about:config settings. Maybe it would be a good idea to make things like this appear in the ABP options menu.
Wladimir Palant

Hubird: It is already there (inside Options menu in preferences and below it in the toolbar icon's menu). And I hope the people who care about this read the FAQ sometimes (http://adblockplus.org/en/faq_basics#disable).
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Hubird: It is already there (inside Options menu in preferences and below it in the toolbar icon's menu). And I hope the people who care about this read the FAQ sometimes (http://adblockplus.org/en/faq_basics#disable).
Sorry I meant exposing some of the settings available in the about:config to the user under the Options Menu.

For example being able to change the default keyboard shortcuts and the default options for left,right or middle clicking.
Wladimir Palant

Now that's something only useful for experienced users, and even then only rarely - which is exactly why these settings aren't exposed.