Questions about the new Adblock App

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Safari
GThreepwood

Questions about the new Adblock App

Post by GThreepwood »

I understand that Safari is changing things. I understand this is not your fault.

However, before I install the new App I have some questions.

1. It is my understanding that extensions run only when Safari is running. Does the new Adblock App run in the background at all times?

I am not interested in an app that is taking up resources on my computer when I am not using it. If this is the case, I may have to look for alternatives.

2. Can we continue to use the old Adblock extension if we don't upgrade to Safari 12?

If you could please remove the pop-up (which Adblock should be blocking) telling me to upgrade, I will continue using it on my current version of Safari.

3. What is to stop Apple from blocking/removing the app?

Now that you are under Apple's thumb, you have to follow certain rules and such. What functionality do you expect not to have and how do you expect to continue functioning as normal under their strict rules?

4. This is a question for everyone else. What are our real alternatives?

It was honestly just a matter of time before Adblock Plus became useless (it seems they're going in that direction), or greedy and started charging (why do you think it is in the App Store?). What are our actual alternatives to keep blocking ads?
oromex

Re: Questions about the new Adblock App

Post by oromex »

What functionality do you expect not to have and how do you expect to continue functioning as normal under their strict rules?
This is a crucial question!

Are we limited to what we see now (basically no ad blocking on most sites I visit); or will ABP become a functional ad blocker again (hopefully quickly)?
peterjohnson

Re: Questions about the new Adblock App

Post by peterjohnson »

How i can modify the lever of blocking in Safari?