SuperAdBlocker Plugin

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Bulldog

SuperAdBlocker Plugin

Post by Bulldog »

Firefox 3 ships with a SuperAdBlocker plugin. Is SuperAdBlocker related to AdBlock? I'm very satisfied with AdBlock and ABP and I don't think I need two different ad blocking utilities, so can I just disable the SuperAdBlocker plugin?
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

"Firefox 3 ships with a SuperAdBlocker" - I don't think so. This plugin was already installed on your system when you installed Firefox 3.
Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

I am very certain that I did not install SuperAdBlocker on my own. It was definitely not installed on my copy of FF 2, which I upgraded to FF 3 to discover this new plugin.
Wladimir Palant

Firefox 2 didn't show plugins in any of its usual UI, you had to go to about:plugins to see them. So I would guess that it was there but you simply didn't see it.

Google doesn't tell anything about Super Ad Blocker being bundled with other software - so maybe you installed it so long ago that you forgot.

Uninstalling should be possible via Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs. Otherwise, Firefox 3 now also allows to disable plugins.
Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

However the plugin got there in the first place...I would rather remove it altogether vs. disabling it. But that's a Firefox question, so I'll take this opportunity to say that I appreciate AdBlock very much.
Wladimir Palant

As I said, that's a Windows application, so it should be uninstallable from Control panel / Add or Remove Programs. This has very little to do with Firefox.
Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

You've been very patient with me so I don't want to appear ungrateful. Having done more research I'm now able to 'close the loop'.

Super AdBlocker installs with a plugin for Firefox (i.e., it's not a separate download). You can choose, from SAB's interface, whether you want this plugin to be enabled. When I uninstalled SAB the uninstaller did not remove the plugin, which remained in the Super AdBlocker folder in Program Files.

Firefox can search for plugins in a program's own folder - that's where it found the plugin. Of course, without the program the plugin was useless.

I would never have known about this were it not for the new FF 3, which now displays all its plugins. It was a simple matter of deleting the plugin (two small files) from FF's plugins folder and, voila, problem solved.

(I must have manually removed the Super AdBlocker folder in Program Files some time ago.)

To summarize: I've taken up your time with something that has nothing to do with AdBlock Plus and which I would have figured out on my own with a little more patience.
Wladimir Palant

Thank you for following up on this, good to know - I was already wondering whether you might have the plugin but not the application, and how that could happen.
asdf

Post by asdf »

Why has nobody else said this?

bulldog, if you're sure you did not isntall SAB on your own, it sounds like a spyware/malware problem!
asdf

Post by asdf »

Anyhoo, if you don't want 3rd party software on your windows system gettings injected into your firefox, go to about:config and set application.use_ns_plugin_finder to false. This pref apparently works by scanning your program files folder and finding plugin files within their program's own folder tree, and may be accidentally presented to you as an extension.
Wladimir Palant

I checked, this isn't malware.